good or bad ?

Jeepers

Expert Expediter
Incentive for Pulling Company-Owned Temperature-Control Trailers

FedEx Custom Critical is now offering a $5,000 incentive to current contractors who haul one of the company-owned temperature-control trailers. The full incentive will be paid once you become TVAL-qualified. Please see contract documents for terms and conditions

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter

FedEx Custom Critical is now offering a $5,000 incentive to current contractors who haul one of the company-owned temperature-control trailers. The full incentive will be paid once you become TVAL-qualified. Please see contract documents for terms and conditions

Well, tough to say. I run a CR and if too many units come on board it takes money out of my pocket. On the flip side if FDCC can't cover the loads and another carrier takes these contracts away I'll be equally screwed. DR's are in the same position just not as bad off. More freight available to them.

msrtransport

Rookie Expediter
I have my team hooked to an FCR and they have been getting 3 loads a week and all have been ER loads. I think only once did they take a CR load and it was overflow that didn't all fit in a CR unit at the pickup. The loads are mostly short - under 1,000 loaded miles and about 300 empty miles. Time will tell. For now, I'm happy. Operating cost is being covered for the truck and drivers are being paid.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I have my team hooked to an FCR and they have been getting 3 loads a week and all have been ER loads. I think only once did they take a CR load and it was overflow that didn't all fit in a CR unit at the pickup. The loads are mostly short - under 1,000 loaded miles and about 300 empty miles. Time will tell. For now, I'm happy. Operating cost is being covered for the truck and drivers are being paid.

That's cool to hear that they are pretty much just covering ER loads. As a cr we only see the cr loads and don't really know what everyone else is hauling. Those miles sound about like what we are doing as well.

Jeepers

Expert Expediter
"Operating cost is being covered for the truck and drivers are being paid."

But are you making any profit? According to my figures if I were pulling a fcr unit I would have lost over 10,000 truck revenue this year.

msrtransport

Rookie Expediter
Well - an update. We opted for the flat rate FCR pay plan. For the month of March, they did 14,678 loaded and 4,572 empty authorized. That was in 12 total loads. 11 of the 12 loads were ER loads, only one was an E surface load. The team took no time off for the month and no load for a BR/C/CR/D/DR unit.

Are we making any profit - yes we are. But for us, in all honesty, we'll continue to operate in the narrowest of margins if required. The three of us that own MSR all have 2 jobs (a full time job and then Guard/Reserve duty or a second source of income). I'm a full-time federal employee and in the Reserves … so we started MSR to put Veterans behind the wheel of trucks and get the Veteran unemployment rate down some by using our connections and finding qualified drivers that maybe FedEx or other fleets don't have access to (current Guard/Reserve truck drivers).

I can say though, we made money as a company - even after paying a Fleet Management Company to handle our day to day business. So after two months running, truck 2 (a DoD tractor) is starting in the beginning of April. The owners have not taken any payment or repayment for the initial investment of the first truck - we'd rather use it for truck 2 and 3.

I know, hard to believe someone can be in the business for something other than the money - but we are Veterans helping Veterans and if you were with FDCC from 2006-2009, my initials were RMA and I worked on the PSS team, Passport Team, WG team, and E-Team and ran the drivers portion of the skills challenge in 2007 and 2008. And I still have my CDL with all endorsements yet work in the TSA HQs in Arlington, VA and the Pentagon … but never know … might get the itch to drive again! Stay safe and if you're at MATS, look for me! I'm here right now!

Rob

Jeepers

Expert Expediter
So silly. Of course there is a waiting list. Waiting for the 5 grand bonus! Good reason to announce the purchase of more trailers. The future unfolding....power only.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Well - an update. We opted for the flat rate FCR pay plan. For the month of March, they did 14,678 loaded and 4,572 empty authorized. That was in 12 total loads. 11 of the 12 loads were ER loads, only one was an E surface load. The team took no time off for the month and no load for a BR/C/CR/D/DR unit.

Are we making any profit - yes we are. But for us, in all honesty, we'll continue to operate in the narrowest of margins if required. The three of us that own MSR all have 2 jobs (a full time job and then Guard/Reserve duty or a second source of income). I'm a full-time federal employee and in the Reserves … so we started MSR to put Veterans behind the wheel of trucks and get the Veteran unemployment rate down some by using our connections and finding qualified drivers that maybe FedEx or other fleets don't have access to (current Guard/Reserve truck drivers).

I can say though, we made money as a company - even after paying a Fleet Management Company to handle our day to day business. So after two months running, truck 2 (a DoD tractor) is starting in the beginning of April. The owners have not taken any payment or repayment for the initial investment of the first truck - we'd rather use it for truck 2 and 3.

I know, hard to believe someone can be in the business for something other than the money - but we are Veterans helping Veterans and if you were with FDCC from 2006-2009, my initials were RMA and I worked on the PSS team, Passport Team, WG team, and E-Team and ran the drivers portion of the skills challenge in 2007 and 2008. And I still have my CDL with all endorsements yet work in the TSA HQs in Arlington, VA and the Pentagon … but never know … might get the itch to drive again! Stay safe and if you're at MATS, look for me! I'm here right now!

Rob
TSA: It would be great if the TSA used the same method to screen airplane passengers as Israel, but that woulkd be quicker, and more effficiant, and the Federal gov't doesn't like that sort of stuff. I know TSA went to Israel to look at how they screen passengers, but are still using the same slow, costly process. Sorry to cahnge your subject.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver

When I get to Philly I'm Collecting.