Good locations to live for home time close to freight?

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
Short Version: I feel stuck in a small town with no good jobs and want to position myself close to freight.

I tried Expediting in a Cargo Van a few years ago with Tri-State. I thought it was a little weird with erratic pay, but it was definitely a job I could handle. I also have Tractor Trailer experience from PAM and did enjoy not having the logbook, more places to park, and driving past the weigh stations.

I'm thinking of doing this again because I've been stuck in a small town and having a hard time getting decent work here. Maybe I could solve my location problem by simply living in the van and not worrying about home time or making arrangements for my bills to be paid. At least for a while.

Eventually, I might consider resettling somewhere else in either America or Canada and I wondered what might be good places to live that are close to freight. I do have a Passport and might consider exploring Canadian residency.

I currently live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (Iron Mountain) and my concern is that expedited freight would be rare in my location making it awkward or expensive to get home or I would have to deadhead a lot of miles into Wisconsin or to Minnesota when I go back out to get freight.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Having to deadhead 200+ miles is a PITA, but there are worse fates in life. I looked up your town; you should have good luck getting out of Milwaukee, if not GB or Oshkosh. Also, a short run to a good area is a blessing in disguise because you get paid to drive instead of having to move on your own dime :cool:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Short Version: I feel stuck in a small town with no good jobs and want to position myself close to freight.
Short Answer: If you think it was weird and erratic a few years ago, just wait until you see it now. Twice as many cargo vans running half as many loads for half the rate.

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
Having to deadhead 200+ miles is a PITA, but there are worse fates in life. I looked up your town; you should have good luck getting out of Milwaukee, if not GB or Oshkosh. Also, a short run to a good area is a blessing in disguise because you get paid to drive instead of having to move on your own dime :cool:

Okay, I appreciate the feedback.

I wondered if I should do better to leave my area and relocate to another town. Toledo was mentioned as an obvious choice as lot's of expediters are based in that area.

Maybe Texas or New England?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would think anywhere in the magic circle would be fine.

esehyjeb.jpg

Reactions: DollarSign

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
umm...try Bison SD .....LOL talk about out of circle....

Iron Mt Mi one part of Mi in Central time zone!!.....is not all as bad it would indicate....last yr I did a whooping 3 load out of that area....2 in and 1 out....depending on your carrier and how much they pay attention....but winters must be pretty harsh up there?...as in driving conditions....if you love your town I wouldn't move just for the freight...when you get down to I94 you now have to compete against literally thousands of vans, pick up trucks and oil field hot shotters...you pretty much would have a monopoly up there should a load pop up...Good Luck

Reactions: Turtle

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
umm...try Bison SD .....LOL talk about out of circle....

Iron Mt Mi one part of Mi in Central time zone!!.....is not all as bad it would indicate....last yr I did a whooping 3 load out of that area....2 in and 1 out....depending on your carrier and how much they pay attention....but winters must be pretty harsh up there?...as in driving conditions....if you love your town I wouldn't move just for the freight...when you get down to I94 you now have to compete against literally thousands of vans, pick up trucks and oil field hot shotters...you pretty much would have a monopoly up there should a load pop up...Good Luck

I'm not that attached to the town aside from that my parents are retired here. I'm fed up with the bleak job market here though and I don't really relate to the "Yooper" culture here.

As for the Winters, the last one wasn't to bad except a few last minute blizzards in March lol. They are prepared and usually cleanup or salt the main roads fast. The Winter before last was brutally cold though and my personal car struggled to start.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Given your past experience in a van and a big-rig, would you not already know where the busy freight centers are?

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
Given your past experience in a van and a big-rig, would you not already know where the busy freight centers are?

I used to live in southern Michigan somewhat close to Toledo, so that time it wasn't as much of a concern when I tried expediting the first time.

When I was with Tri-State, I sometime came into Wisconsin as far as Milwaukee, but not much more than that. Same for Trucking actually; I never even went as north as Green Bay, but cut across Wisconsin to Minneapolis. I was trying to feel out how awkward a location the Upper Peninsula might be. Also, I've been out of it for a while and wondered if things have changed.