Good drivers, bad drivers

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Probably it wasn't the worst driver I ever had, but for sure is 100% not to be hired. For the last two weeks this driver had a bad attitude towards me, as well with the carrier. It looked to me like this person either wants to be fired or to rule over me. The last straw was when I called the carrier to see what's going on, why my truck sits for that long in Laredo. One day before they had a load going to Tennessee, but my driver turned it down just because it was not going to Michigan. And this was not a first. Back in December, the same driver was waiting four days in San Antonio, and when the carrier finally came up with a load going to Kentucky, my driver refused it for the same reason. At least at that time I was only 300 miles away from the p/u and I covered it. But now I was far, far away. After a rough conversation with the driver, this person decided to quit. Since I did not agree to let this person to drive my vehicle all the way up to Michigan, I came up with two options, either leave the truck in Laredo and I'll pick it up from there, or to bring it to my place in Houston and I'll pay for the fuel once I get the receipts, plus I'll pay the bus ticket to get back home in Michigan. The driver agreed to bring the van to my place. Ok, I came back home all the way from Birmingham, AL, empty of course. Sunday I tried to contact the driver through phone, text and email, but not a chance. I called the company, and finally this driver answered the phone and told the dispatch that Monday morning will be in Houston with my truck. Early morning on Monday I received an email from this driver, letting me know that the van is in Michigan and if I want it, I can come over and pick it up. Well, I recovered the van, a friend of mine went there and took it to his place, but still, that's in Michigan.
As you can see, I was trying to avoid to make public not just this driver's name, but also the gender.
If any of you intend to hire new drivers and want to avoid this person, just send me a PM.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
What a stupid driver,to turn a load down going in the direction he wanted to go. It's a lot easier to get to Michigan from TN,than from TX. Sorry you had that much trouble getting your truck back. Drivers like that you don't need. I hope it works out and the new driver has some brains.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So easy to get to Michigan from Kentucky. What a pampered princess. You can't reason with some of them and they don't see logic. They should go buy their own equipment if they want to pick and choose where to go then maybe they will see the challenges. Probably not.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Sorry for you. Can only imagine the cost and headache.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry for you. Can only imagine the cost and headache.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

What is done, is done. One thing is sure, I'll never recover from that driver all the expenses I had to pay to get back my van. I just hope the new driver will do his job...

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Maybe a fleet owner should hire homeless people. Then there is no home in MI to go to. Huh?

That whole thing sucks. I doubt that person would ever cross paths with me since I'm only currently interested in "under" O/Os that can sit on pay for the 35~45 days I sit on invoices. Unfortunately.
But just in case, please PM me their name.
Actually, I'll PM you to make it easier.
Thanks!! And best wishes!!

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe a fleet owner should hire homeless people. Then there is no home in MI to go to. Huh?

Hmm, I was once just about to hire a homeless driver. When I introduced him to the carrier, first thing they said was "take him to the drug screen". Well, the result never came back.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'd see about hitting his DAC report for abandonment.

Oh... and charge him fuel down to Houston out of his last check.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oops, I did it again! No, it's not about the Britney Spears' hit, but about me picking another "great" driver.
The guy was (and still is) broke, looking for a job, willing to work hard, etc., etc. Even if it's his problem the orientation expenses, I helped him with money for travel and drug screen. First alarm bell rang right after the orientation, when he asked the dispatch that next Monday he has to be home. I told him that he was supposed to stay home, fix his problems, then start the job. He did a 450 miles run, then waiting for something that'll take him close to his place. Nothing showed up, so he drove empty back to his place (about 700 mi). Since he was broke, I gave him some money in advance based on the run he did. Ok, actually he had a court day on Tuesday, not Monday, so another wasted day. Finally, on Wednesday he gets a 600 mi run, and also he was preplanned with another load for the following day. He left his place a half hour later, stopped in the next town for cash advance, spent another 30 minutes, then started driving backwards. Of course the dispatch took the load from him, then called me, explaining me that if I keep this guy I'll never make any money. I tried to contact the driver, but as most of the time after I put him on my van, he was unreachable. I talked to the recruiter, a very nice guy, and he told me as well to let this driver go. So I did. And along with that I lost about $1000. When I finally got my van back, I did not believe that's my van. Dirty as hell, inside and outside, bad, a very unpleasant odor inside, beer caps in the cargo area, food spread all over, dog hair. And I stop here. I guess the guy is looking now for a new owner...