Good deal or should I pass .?

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update on this

- I Paid for the truck. I will live with the consequences of my decision!

So next week I will be going to California to pick it up Driving all the way from San Francisco to DFW Texas.

My next question might be dumb... but

1 - whats the best route ? i know I-40 is a good route but i Hear I-10 via phoenix is also good.
2-What do I realistically need - some tool box? spare hoses ? coolant ?
3- Do I Need to stop at Weight station or Keep any logs ?

Reactions: brokcanadian

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Update on this

- I Paid for the truck. I will live with the consequences of my decision!

So next week I will be going to California to pick it up Driving all the way from San Francisco to DFW Texas.

My next question might be dumb... but

1 - whats the best route ? i know I-40 is a good route but i Hear I-10 via phoenix is also good.
2-What do I realistically need - some tool box? spare hoses ? coolant ?
3- Do I Need to stop at Weight station or Keep any logs ?

Going through Arizona you will have to stop and buy a trip permit, no reason to do a 30 day, just need a single trip permit, about $50

Yes to stopping at weigh stations and logging, do you have your own dot number or are you going to run for someone else?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Kip life

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not knowing the ins and outs of US laws, I didn't want to mention being regulated and possibly insurance lol.

I would always carry full tools if I knew how to use them...Harbor Freight has a 3/4 inch drive set that used to sell for $60 dollars that I have never managed to break even with a nice cheater bar

Pull over often in a well lit place like a truck stop and give it the full pre trip, check for leaks, keep an eye on the gauges...get used to where everything is...listen to everything with the radio off...enjoy getting familiar with the new truck!

Maybe even spend some time with that operator's manual if it has one...I know I'm always overwhelmed with a new ride until I get over the learning curve

Reactions: FlyingVan

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
looking back at this .post.. i am glad i bought this truck .I have in on the road no issues at all so far so good. I am saving up all cash in anticaption of trouble but so far.. Its run exceptionally well except the one time I Forgot to turn off the fog lights and it drained battery ! lesson learnt was always do a post trip mini inspection

was a good deal!

will keep updating

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's working out well .I drive OTR and in two weeks, I bring in decent $$ I see very few of my kind on the road.

The fact that I don't have DEF and any of the electronics in the new trucks has made my cost of operation very low. All I've done in 4 months is oil changes, PMs, one tire replacement and flushing fluids ($1500 or less in maintaince )

I do my PM ina CAT DEALERSHIP and change pil every 5k miles

Sent from my SM-N910T using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: RoadTime

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Kip, I don't know about the CAT, but on my Mercedes MBE900 I change the oil every 15k miles. I did an used oil analysis and at 15k miles the oil still had some life left in it. 5k oil changes seem unnecessary to me. You might want to look into that. How many gallons of oil does the Cat hold?

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know how many gallons it holds but I spend $320 every PM that I've done and they do it plus filters

One of my friends told me CAT engines are sensitive to dirty Oil so I strick do it at 5k

Sent from my SM-N910T using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Hino123

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
That engine uses a HEUI system, basically it uses high engine oil pressure to fire the injectors. Your friend was right, change the oil every 5 k and save your self the cost of 6, injectors and a HEUI pump. I also despise C7 engines. I worked at a GMC / Isuzu dealer for many years. Nothing but problems, In my personal experience. Hopefully you got a good one and she dosen't leave you walkin.