Good deal or should I pass .?

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi,

I am new. I am in the final phase of buying a penske truck and it's out in California . I have paid the deposit $500. The truck is a 24 ft 2004 freightliner m2 106 with 401,000 miles.

It' seems to be a clean truck, got penske maintaince records since 2013 and it's never had any major issues. Clutch assembly was replaced last Nov 2016.

Price : 12500
Engine :cat 3126
manual transmission
ar
Manufacturer
FREIGHTLINER
Model
BUSINESS CLASS M2 106

Engine Manufacturer
Caterpillar
Engine Type
C-7
Horsepower
Mileage
401,000mi
Fuel Type
Diesel
Transmission
6 Spd
Suspension
Air Ride
Length
24 ft
Height
84"
Lift End Gate
Yes
Doors
Roll up
Side Doors
Curbside
Ratio
Tires
11R/22.5

So guys should I go for this and be an OO or do I pass.

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks. So what engine would be suitable for OTR..?

I thought most pre-emissions engines are better than the new stuff with DPF and the likes

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
:popcorn2:
I've got opinions, but like the wife says, they're wrong
(If I liked it, I would have bought it)

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
thanks. my worry wasnt even engine type.. i dont know much about them except that i should avoid internationals and Hinos..

My concern is if a 400k Mile truck would be good to start off..and if i can atleast run with it for a minute

ntimevan is right.. 3126 is fine for local deliveries or a tow truck but not otr.
Had a 3126 for 12 years . Took me everywhere . Other than a few sets of injectors , never gave me a problem . Still running strong at 950K .

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
No mention of a sleeper ? 12.5 for 12K miles isn't bad but no maintenance records prior to '13 kinda sucks .

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
thanks. my worry wasnt even engine type.. i dont know much about them except that i should avoid internationals and Hinos..

My concern is if a 400k Mile truck would be good to start off..and if i can atleast run with it for a minute

ntimevan is right.. 3126 is fine for local deliveries or a tow truck but not otr.
Had a 3126 for 12 years . Took me everywhere . Other than a few sets of injectors , never gave me a problem . Still running strong at 950K .
It's all about how the truck was taken care of before. I have a Hino with 800K plus. It was very well taken care of. I think the problem with the C-7 is that it's too small

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The problem is several lines down in the description. It's a C7, not the earlier 3126. The description is wrong. 2003 marked the phase out of the 3126. The C7 is a ticking time bomb.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
looks like I pasted the wrong information .Below is what was in the penske Site before it was taken offline. I Have made a 500 deposit and need to pay balance .IT Says a cat 3126 engine..I plan to be an OO. use it for a yr or so and sell it. Maintance records so far look good.

I have attached the pictures of the truck

Options and Standard Features
Basic Information
  • Year: 2004
  • Make: Freightliner
  • Model: BUSINESS CLASS M2 106
  • Condition: Used
  • Class: Class 6 (19,501-26,000 lbs.)
  • Color: WHITE
  • Mileage: 406006
  • Cab Type: Standard Cab
  • Body Type: VAN
Engine
  • Fuel Type: Diesel
  • Engine Make: Caterpillar
  • Engine Horsepower: 230
DriveTrain
  • Transmission Type: Manual
  • Transmission Speeds: 6 Speed
  • Tire Size: 22.5
  • Engine Model: 3126E
  • Wheel Material: All Steel
Suspension
  • Suspension Type: Air
  • Rear Axles: 1
Dimensions
  • Width (Inches): 102
  • Height (Inches): 156
  • Wheel Base: 252
  • Length (feet): 24
Features
  • Liftgate Included
01.jpg 02.jpg 01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because I rather lose $500 than lose $12000 if i go ahead and do the deal and secondly, i just found out about this great forum and the information here has been awesome.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Understood. I'd want a real close up photo of that valve cover to determine which engine is in the truck. There's no way I'll endorse a C7. Another forum member just poured over 10k into a 3126 before learning the engine is damaged.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Definitely need them to fix that.

78ec8a5ad8fc2ddd211874c72139bf7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i would want to see maintance records for this unit, before i would buy it

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
I wouldn't buy that style liftgate.. get the one that goes under the truck. That things gonna get in the way of any dock lock. At least you can chock up with an underneath style.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is Penske selling this truck direct or a third party? I wouldn't think Penske would put a truck up for sale that wasn't road ready and legal.