Good company to work for?

timvan83

Expert Expediter
Would anyone like to comment on a good company to work for, or a company not to work for?
Any pros and cons about the companies would be appreciated too.

Thank you

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a "B" Unit Signed on with Premium Transportation Logistics in Rossford Ohio I'm happy there.Great People to work with. They go out of thier way in my Opinion to Load me to the areas I like to run.But it all comes down to Being in the right spot at the right time on staying busy.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
BOLT EXPRESS,OUT OF TOLEDO,OHIO HAS BEEN VERY GOOD TO ME.GOOD SMALL COMPANY TO WORK FOR.

WHITEWOLF 53

HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you read back a week or two you'll find the latest threads with horror stories about all-types. I think you'll find it easier to get the companies not to work for than who to work for. By that I mean that the posts telling you who is great are good reference material but they may not be great for you where they are for the person posting. Personally I can tell you both Express-1 and Panther are good companies with some great people but if you went with them they might not seem great to you. Conversely, when someone posts about not getting paid what's owed them that's plenty concrete to raise a red flag. Good luck to you.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

G

Well FedEx Custom Critical has been good to me. I have been there almost 11 yrs. FedEx CC is mainly a team company.

FAST JIMMY

Expert Expediter
I will tell you that I enjoy working with Try Hours.. I run a team C unit with them.. Everyone at the office has been good to me. From the orientation to my last dispatch.I had a conversation with the owner of the company during orientation, he is a very nice person that really listens to you. I have had some serious personal and family problems come up,along with 2 major break downs. They were very understanding and patient. While my truck was repaired (which was about 2 weeks) they offered a truck for me to drive. Which I did and got some miles from it..They have a backhaul dept. that works well with straight trucks and tractor trailers. I have driven for other carriers in the past, but I was always looking and researching for another carrier to better myself and truck. It finally feels good to not feel that way any more, also not throwing away time and money switching.They also know you by your name and not just truck number. I am not sure as to the status of available trucks that they offered me,but if I were just starting out with them or with the industry,I would feel comfortable with those trucks.They are very clean and well maintained. Oh yeah, they do have a full time mechanic that can take care of your PMs or truck washes or whatever else you might need..Sorry for the long post, but I was finally able to say something about a company that is a joy to work with.

Good Luck with the carrier that you choose!!
Fast Jimmy

plyn123

Expert Expediter
Actually I have been with ALL TYPES for about 2 years now. I have never had any problems with them. The ones that seem to leave are the ones that don't know what to expect in the expediting field and don't have the funds for fuel until they get moving. If you know what you are doing and do it well, you'll be happy too.

plyn123

Expert Expediter
I have worked with ALL TYPES for a few years. They work with new people to the field. They were great with me when I was new. Make sure you have your ducks lined up and have money to run on or you will FLOP with anyone you go with.

Black Sheep

Expert Expediter
I've been really satisfied with DMW - they treat their drivers well, no qualcomm going off all the time and no silly rules that nit-pick you to death. Best of all, they've got plenty of business going between MI, OH and the southeast.Definitely worth checking out, especially if you live in TN or KY.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Oh boy,
$300.00 for two days of insurance and $300.00 for orientation?
I can't wait to see the line signing up for that experience.

As mentioned, every story is a horror story.

Davekc
owner
21 years

elton10

Expert Expediter
All State Express in Kernersville NC is another low rent outfit to steer clear of.

>Would anyone like to comment on a good company to work for,
>or a company not to work for?
>Any pros and cons about the companies would be appreciated
>too.
>
>Thank you

kma637

Expert Expediter
I drove for All Types for about 7 months. They seemed to think that 1000 to 1200 miles a week (7days) was a good week. That figures out to be about to be around 200 miles a day and nobody out there can make it on those miles. Just wonder how many miles the guy with the positive post has been getting??

Hope he will E-mail me at [email protected] . Would like him to convince me they are not the villans all the posts indicate.:) :) :)

miko

Expert Expediter
I'd like to know how dispatch operates at Premium Transportation Logistics...
A very good friend of mine signed on with them by August 1.
He was doing some local work in his town, but did not make enough. Now that he is signed on with PTL, he has yet to be offered a run. He recieves emails so far and can respond if he can cover. So far no load matching his vehicle size has come off of it. He was wondering if dispatch knows the difference between a semi and a cargo van.
He calls in every day, and gets the same old response every day, that they are busy and will find him a load...
Beats me how someone can be successful with them if they don't have no loads for the vans???

Besides, today alot of Panthers, Try State and some more unmarked cargo vans in Toledo with no loads sitting...:(

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
LANDSTAR EXPRESS AMERICA IS THE BEST COMPANY OUT THEIR BY FAR THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THERE IS A FREEZE ON CARGO VANS (THANK GOD). I'LL JUST SAY THIS WITH THE (FSC)LANDSTAR IS PAYING FOR 90% OF MY FUEL COST WHEN I'M UNDER A LOAD FOR THEM AND THEY DON'T LOWER THE OVERALL RATE TO JUSTIFY THE FSC.THE ONLY WAY I WOULD LOSE MONEY IS IF I SAT AROUND 3-DAYS A WEEK LIKE OTHERS PEOPLE DO.ABOUT 75% OF LANDSTAR DRIVER ARE TICKLED AND THE OTHER 25% ARE MEATHEADS THAT SHOULDN'T EVEN BE OUT HERE THEY SHOULD BE WORKING AT BURGER KING OR SOMETHING.PS LANDSTAR ISN'T PAYING MY FSC THE COMPANYS THEY CHARGE ARE NOW THAT SOUNDS BETTER. CRAPPY CARRIERS ARE 1.BOLT EXPRESS YOU WONT MAKE MORE THEN .75 CENT A MILE AND THAT GOES FOR PANTHER2 ALSO.CTX IS WORTHLESS TOO.THESE ARE THE CARRIES I HAVE PEOPLE THAT I KNOW THAT ARE LEASED ON AND THEY ARE ALL GOING BROKE.:D :'( :'(

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
I dont know how you came up with Bolt Express,other than your friends.I work for Bolt and i am very happy with them.I run a D unit and i have a load every day.I think your friends are just sitting on there Butts and refusing loads.

WHITEWOLF 53

HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I'm not that current on how the vans are doing but we have added a team (d unit)that just completed orientation. They took their first load Thursday night the 25th. As of tonight or tomarrow morning they will have 1849 paid miles on 2.5 to 3 days.
I quess I am not sure what defines crappy?
Truck is at Panther

Davekc
owner
21 years

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
PTL Does Not Dispatch Via E-mail. I Live east of Cleveland Ohio and Loads in this Area are Slim at times. I move to Toledo and I'm Loaded very Quickly There.Last Week I was Loaded Everyday. If your Friend is sitting He is Either turning down loads or won't move to a better area.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Even though I am leased on with an expedited company I actually work for the oil industry. They are making all the profit from my work.