Golf: Seve Ballesteros condition is deteriorating, say family

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
BBC News

Seve Ballesteros's condition is worsening, according to the family of the Spanish golf legend.

Ballesteros, 54, has had health problems since being diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2008 after losing consciousness at Madrid Airport.

He had four operations to remove the tumour and reduce swelling in his skull as well as undergoing chemotherapy.

The five-time major winner is being cared for at home in the northern Spanish town of Pedrena.

A statement on his website said: "The family will provide information on his state of health when more news becomes available."

They also expressed their thanks for the support they had received and added that any updates would be published on the website.

Ballesteros, who claimed 87 titles over his career, won the Open in 1979, 1984 and 1988 and became the first European to win the Augusta Masters in 1980, repeating the feat in 1983.

He also enjoyed a successful Ryder Cup career as both player and captain - playing in eight Ryder Cups and winning 20 points from 37 matches before guiding Europe to victory over the United States at Valderrama in 1997.

He appeared in public for the first time following the surgery in May 2009 when he went to watch his local football team Racing Santander and was given a standing ovation.

He has called his battle against the tumour the "hardest challenge of my life."

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I am so sorry to hear about Seve. He was a classy guy. He played the game of golf with a swing that was both graceful and powerful.
He will be missed in the clubhouse.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I feel so sad this morning.

Seve was one of those people that made you enjoy a sport that you wouldn't think you would enjoy - if you know what I mean.

:(
I know what you mean. He had an infectious smile and demeanor that drew you to him and the game. I remember watching him in the Ryder cup. Even tho he was on the opposing team, I couldn't help myself from rooting for him.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I think Zinger may disagree with some of you. I enjoyed watching him but, he was well known for his gamesmanship.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I think Zinger may disagree with some of you. I enjoyed watching him but, he was well known for his gamesmanship.

Seve and Paul had their differences steming from ,I think the 91 Ryder Cup. Seve was also one of the 1st people to call Paul when he was diagnosed with cancer I think in that was in 93 or 94. Somewhere around that time.