Going Out Of Business

gambler

Expert Expediter
>don't get me wrong, but have either of you been in the
>trucking industry at all? i have been otr company driver for
>over 13 years. i started out with my best freind as a team.
>we had hung out together since we were 10. at the end of the
>six months we were at each others throats.....try this (
>don't laugh ) get you a cooler full of sandwiches and
>drinks, a small tv, some reading material, pillows and
>blankets, now both of you go to the bathroom and lock the
>door, don't come out for a week. now remember you haven't
>dealt with a dispatcher, traffic, dot, construction or
>shipping/recievers.
>
>like i said don't get me wrong i wouldn't do anything else
>but it ain't no bed of roses. a lot of couples make it
>teaming, but alot don't. to me it sounds like you have been
>talking to a really good recruiter or o/o that knows how to
>wear really high waiters.

were you talking to me as well when you asked if "we" had ever been in the biz?? or a-team? cause ummmm yeah i think ive pulled a load or two

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just wondering: What is "Gamblers" motive for adding what I guess is
supposed to be a scare tactic at the end of his post?

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi all in reference to all your posts, the average O/O doesnt even make a buck a mile, Go talk with any company full load carriers looking for regular freight loads, as an owner, they only pay between 70-89 cents per mile and everything else is on your own, including your plates and permits. unless the co pays for it..

I think you have to see this, the average load is purchased from the large Corporations, like I am not going to mention names, for around $3.00 per mile, they inturn give you a option, of about a buck a mile for a "B" (.80 ) D" Unit 1.20 , or the opposite end no names maybe that only comes to $.58 per mile loaded, what happened to the balance, the dipatchers are the ones that are saving the CO money, on a 3.00 load there making 2.00 per mile and giving you the difference. So who is the Culprit
Frank

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This is kind of/sort of what is helping the smaller companies and people with their own authority out. Where the biggies are trying to charge the customers 2 to 3 bucks a mile for a load, the smaller places with no overhead don't do that. They can save the customer a lot of money, provide equal or better service, and pass on a lot more money to the contractor. I have witnessed at a place what a giant trucking company charges a certain paper manufacturer per mile to run their dedicated accounts, and it isn't a whole lot less than what it would cost to run the loads with expediters provided the daily dedicated load could fit into an expediter truck. I received my "Associate Degree" in expedited trucking learning this hands on. How many of you other expediters have arrived to pick up a shipment and a dedicated guy or other 53 footer was there for the same shipment but it went on to your truck because it was needed fast? It's happened to me more than once!
I have published a book called "Everything I Have Learned In 5 Years of Expedited Trucking."
It is a a full 500 page ream of blank paper padded together with the title on the cover :7
-Weave-

gambler

Expert Expediter
weave that was too damn funny!! shoulda saw it coming...where can i buy the book hehehe..and freightchaser i thought i "explained" my "signature" b4...but here goes...no i'm not trying to "scare" any of you big ole ruff-n-tuff truckers (}> ) it is kind of my "creedo" from many yrs ago when i ran the door for several rough biker bars it's not bragging or whatever it is fact thats all. i have many yrs training in various forms of martial arts as well as many yrs of kickboxing. i am not the biggest man around (6'1 250lbs) or the baddest. but usually i am the "last man standing" sorry if i "intimidated" you somehow with my words.also for your info..i prefer to talk a situation down than use my body...(or my fav. 45cal. hehe) peace gambler

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
new owners need to review these posts and realize only a few are surviving long term at this business. Alot of luck, hard work, minimal bills, and most importantly, small truck payments or none at all will go along way to insure success.