Going home, do you take the rig.

Sockeye007

New Recruit
Researching
Newbie here with question that is nagging my wife (always use your wife so as not to look to stupid, just don;t let her catch ya. insert BIG SMILEY FACE HERE to calm you gals down.) When driving another persons rig for them and you go home for say two weeks does the rig go with you. That is, do you drive the rig home where it sits in your yard one or two weeks until your out at it again?. And are the deadhead miles home paid mails.
Thanks to all you really smart women and men who chime in here.

BigBadBen

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
That totally depends on who you're driving for. My experience is DH miles are generally not paid and they do let you take the truck with you(2 weeks seems like a long time though).

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
What does your contract with the owner of the truck say? You do have a contract, don't you? If it is not in the contract, ask the owner directly.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Who you drive for is a factor, but there are others.

Where "home" is. If it's on or near a freight lane. Easier to get a load to and from if it is. Normally, you just don't decide to deadhead home from wherever you are. You work your way there getting loads to get you close. It can sometimes take a week or more. DH miles are not paid as a rule.

There has to be a secure place to park the truck. Not a nearby truck stop or on a public street.

Two weeks off is not likely to happen. It differs from owner to owner, but a week is probably going to be the max.

This is not a home friendly industry. If you want or need to be home on a regular basis, I suggest looking for a local delivery position.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Also consider truck parking at home. Some communities allow it. Others prohibit it. Do you have a good space to park a truck at home? Will your neighbors be OK with it? If not, research the truck parking options where you live.

CedarMike

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
If you don't have a lot of bills and you want that much home time find an owner who slip seats . I met one recently who slips six trucks at custom critical , all his guys are 1099