Take a break..... Head up to Lexington for half a dozen Wimpy burgers.....Transfer, Add-on, and Epic Fail?
I started my transfer of my solar panels to my new van yesterday.
I'm adding 2 more solar panels for a total of 4 this time. Several months back, I added 2 more 12 volt batteries to my battery bank for a total of 4 also.
The 2 solar panel /4 battery bank set up was adequate, but still lacking at times. I figured going to 4 panels should be the sweet spot to meet my needs.
The new 4 panel placement configuration needed to be set up different to avoid a lot of wire splicing (which I didn't want to get into).
Drilling and prepping 34 holes felt like it took forever. Several times, I wished I would of went with some of the other installation options I was exploring. But I was in too deep to back out now. I was using a little different securement method this time, the process was more labor intensive then I planned. Once I got this done, it was time to start securing the panels to the roof.
Then a horrifying moment occurred on my first panel, I could not get the screws to engage with the locking securement I was using.
OMG, I was looking in panic at a Epic Fail
Gathering my thoughts, I tried to figure out why this wasn't working. I found another screw that seemed to work but was too short.
Came to the conclusion, that the nice older man at Home Depot may have recommended the wrong screw. It seemed to work at the time, but obviously something was not working now. Quickly packed up and headed to Menards.
Found the correct sized screw that seemed to be engaging with the locking device like it should, and headed back home to try again.
To my great relief, the screw engaged this time securing the panel to the roof.
After 7 hours, with day light all but gone, and sore as hell I got two panels in place and had to call it a day.
Today should go much smoother, as most of the hard work has been done.
Two down, two to go