GMC vs Ford

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Factories can adjust stickers, heavy vehicles can be given the 10k sticker.

Is it all worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
Not in my book. Safety first.

What is unsafe about taking a vehicle built from the factory to be 13,500 gvw, let's say, and reducing the GVW to 9,999???. Nothing was altered but the door jamb sticker. There us nothing unsafe about that one bit.

Reactions: Compa

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is unsafe about taking a vehicle built from the factory to be 13,500 gvw, let's say, and reducing the GVW to 9,999???. Nothing was altered but the door jamb sticker. There us nothing unsafe about that one bit.
If nothing was altered but the door jamb sticker than explain how they take a 13500 frame and make it a 9999 frame? Where does 3500 lbs go? Also that makes the driver think since its on a 13500 frame that he can put more weight on his truck. That is where the comment safety first goes.

Reactions: Solar and ntimevan

guido4475

Not a Member
If nothing was altered but the door jamb sticker than explain how they take a 13500 frame and make it a 9999 frame? Where does 3500 lbs go? Also that makes the driver think since its on a 13500 frame that he can put more weight on his truck. That is where the comment safety first goes.

As difficult as it is for me to bite my tongue, re-read my 1st reply to your question.

Reactions: Compa

djidok

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator

Whats so hard about this to understand? If the truck was originally rated for 13,500 then de rated to 9,999 in sticker only.... then it still has all the heavy duty components... (might weight 200lbs more than a true single rear wheel 10k truck) and the truck wont or shouldn't get over loaded because they cant legally go over 10k gvw.... they're basically cutting their payload in half.....

Reactions: Compa and Solar

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly. The frame rails remain the same. A SRW has hub extensions to bring the SRW more outward. I can easily make this SRW a DRW by removing the hub extensions, if I wanted to.
Are you sure?

In delving into the differences of my E350 back when I cared, the actual body metal was a different thickness. (It may have been a bodyshop repair manual I was looking at, but I sure was surprised to learn it.) Thicker metal used in construction, that you aren't bolting on

Edit: well in your example you'd have the thicker version, I was thinking E150 vs E350...got to be some reason for 8200 lbs when my larger sprinter is 5500

Reactions: Solar

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the end of the day, everyone has their way of doing things.

In my case, I preferred the 2500 Promaster over the 3500 Promaster because it’s the same exact engine, and on top of that it’s a V6, which is a light engine for a 1500, much less 2500-3500. More weight equals more work on that small engine.

But, in the Ford Transit, I don’t know the engines and their reliability. If they have a engine similar to a Chevy/GMC 6.0, then I would want the extra frame weight because I could trust the engine handling the weight and keeping good mileage.

So, I guess what works for you is what’s right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd buy an E-350 to put that box on it. Yet, instead of putting a box, I'd rather make the roof taller. So you can get a Sprinter size cargo van, with a very reliable engine and transmission. I had an E-350 and till the day I sold it, when it had over 500K miles, as "major repairs" I replaced one time the radiator and an ignition coil. Plus two times the brakes.

Reactions: Solar and ntimevan

guido4475

Not a Member
Are you sure?

In delving into the differences of my E350 back when I cared, the actual body metal was a different thickness. (It may have been a bodyshop repair manual I was looking at, but I sure was surprised to learn it.) Thicker metal used in construction, that you aren't bolting on

Edit: well in your example you'd have the thicker version, I was thinking E150 vs E350...got to be some reason for 8200 lbs when my larger sprinter is 5500

Im not even getting into this. You are overthinking things. The bodies are all the same in the econline series. It is not a unibody, but a body on a full frame, all the same frame rails. I can provide part numbers, if needed to prove this. Do you know how costly it would be for the manufacturer to have different frames and bodies for a 150, 250, and 350? I shared the above post with my friend at Ford and he is still laughing...suspension, cooling, brakes, rear ends, etc are all different.

In talking with my friend at Ford, let it be known that I was incorrect in stating that the 3 valve per cylinder version of a 5.4 engine cane in the econline series van. That was wrong, as only the 2 valve version of the 5.4 engine was installed at the factory in all econline gas equipped vans. There were some that came with a v6 engine, but not many.

Reactions: Solar

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im not even getting into this. You are overthinking things. The bodies are all the same in the econline series. It is not a unibody, but a body on a full frame, all the same frame rails. I can provide part numbers, if needed to prove this. Do you know how costly it would be for the manufacturer to have different frames and bodies for a 150, 250, and 350? I shared the above post with my friend at Ford and he is still laughing...suspension, cooling, brakes, rear ends, etc are all different.

In talking with my friend at Ford, let it be known that I was incorrect in stating that the 3 valve per cylinder version of a 5.4 engine cane in the econline series van. That was wrong, as only the 2 valve version of the 5.4 engine was installed at the factory in all econline gas equipped vans. There were some that came with a v6 engine, but not many.
From the document ("e-seriesvan_06-ms.pdf", no title page for reference) FRAME SPECIFICATIONS Model/Series - Wheelbase (in.) - Maximum Side Rail Section (in.) - Section Modulus (in.) - Yield Strength (psi)
E-150 ------------138 ----------------- 6.05 x 3.18 x 0.161 ------------------ 2.92 ----------------------- 36,000

E-250 ----------- 138 ----------------- 6.16 x 3.18 x 0.181 ------------------ 3.30 ----------------------- 36,000

E-350 ----------- 138 ----------------- 7.69 x 3.18 x 0.212 ------------------ 5.44 ----------------------- 36,000

Now let the "men" get back to work.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Further to what this means:

"150 frame 46720 pounds (yield strength what it would take to pull the frame apart)

250 frame 52800
350 frame 87040
that being said the only difference in size would be the thickness of the steel used for the frame"

Yes I incorrectly stated body metal as frame (I'm taking a damn hazmat course and am tired :wtf:)

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan

guido4475

Not a Member
Sorry it took so long to reply. So, I screenshoted the frame info to my Ford friend. We talked it over and over and had mixed feelings about it, which led to us conferencing the call with Jeff, who is now a semi retired body shop owner. He did confirm that you're information is in fact, accurate, and that we are not. So, I do admit to being wrong in believing that all the frames are the same, when surprisingly that they are not. My Ford guy is dumbfounded as well.

Reactions: Solar and RoadTime

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know the feeling. I was shocked when I found it as well.

Does anyone know about the "new" vans? Or even if GMC were the same...I was a ford fan, since nothing ever broke I had time to research stuff like that :laughing: