GMC vs Ford

guido4475

Not a Member
Actually there isn't anything to be confused about.

Guido's is SRW I believe, under 10k

Without a pic, I can only surmise SoG is dually...with all that entails...

Yes, it is a SRW E350 12'. 5.4 gasser. I love that engine. The original one was still running beautifully when I pulled it. It had several broken exhaust manifold studs and front timing chain runners were wore out. That was at 574,000 miles. The transmission I changed at 500,000. It was fine, but how long does one trust major components like that? By using Ford reman I now have a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty on both. Cost was 2k for the trans, 3k for the engine, complete. Took me 2 weeks to do it. I was not in any hurry, obviously, but replaced everything else that I can see while the engine was out. Best engine ever. The 2 valve version, which I have, us so much better than the nightmare 3 valve. One easy way to tell which one you have is the coil packs. A 2 valve has an angled coil pack boot. A 3 valve coil pack has a straight boot.

The link for the Transits that I posted earlier were, in fact, cubes , yes. But an excellent alternative to a $sprinter, Chevy cube, or Ford Spartan body cutaway SRW. My main reason for buying one would be so I can haul 3 skids more comfortably. Right now, my current van is 12 ft, but I lose my bed with 3 skid loads. With a 15 ft or larger, (17 ft is the longest), I would still have my bed behind the seats temporarily until unloaded. I also have 49" between wheel wells, so a van like that Transit with no wheel wells would be a nice change. Dual rear wheels would be so much more stable as well. So, I wouldnt buy one of those to haul more freight, but to do the job better. I am more than content with what I make at Load One for the amount of work that I do.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lots of info and experience in that one. I guess the stories I've heard would have been the 3 valve...and that price for engine! I'm not getting a reman Sprinter 2.7 for 3 grand

You have a light van. The duallies weigh out around 7500 lbs or more, I think that's everyone's issue. And the reason I wouldn't get a derated dually, too easy to load over.

The gray area is: if your GVWR plate says 9,990 are they going to assume you have the factory 12k GVWR and weigh you? Can they? I dunno. Same issue in my van and every other one, isn't it? I load over 3,000 lb and I'm over, too

(Edit: over my GVWR. I'd have to load 4300 lbs to be over 10,000.)

Reactions: ntimevan

guido4475

Not a Member
Lots of info and experience in that one. I guess the stories I've heard would have been the 3 valve...and that price for engine! I'm not getting a reman Sprinter 2.7 for 3 grand

You have a light van. The duallies weigh out around 7500 lbs or more, I think that's everyone's issue. And the reason I wouldn't get a derated dually, too easy to load over.

The gray area is: if your GVWR plate says 9,990 are they going to assume you have the factory 12k GVWR and weigh you? Can they? I dunno. Same issue in my van and every other one, isn't it? I load over 3,000 lb and I'm over, too

(Edit: over my GVWR. I'd have to load 4300 lbs to be over 10,000.)

The transmission comes completely filled with synthetic trans fluid as well. The reman engine comes with spark plugs, water pump, harminic balancer, new oil cooler, filter, filled with synthetic oil as well. I put new exhaust manifolds on it, but it also had new exhaust manifold studs in it as well. Basically a complete engine.

Light van? I wish. The FRP (fiberglass reinforced plywood) bodied vans are not light at all. But durable.

Yes, having a dually will expose a driver, making him much more vulnerable to being pulled over, by a curious DOT officer, because of the many GVW weight differences with a dually. Usually a SRW is plain and simple. Are there really any, or many, SRW's over 10k GVW? I dont think so, and for that reason, why the DOT doesn't mess with them that much.

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Maybe 12 mpg. Can't attach photos says their too big. Maybe later I'll figure it out!

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd still like to know if they CAN mess with an under 10k. Pretty sure an under 10k loaded to over 10k is now subject to DOT rules, dually or no dually. Providing someone actually stops and weighs it

I'm gonna stop wondering before I confuse myself any further

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Actually there isn't anything to be confused about.

Guido's is SRW I believe, under 10k

Without a pic, I can only surmise SoG is dually...with all that entails...

Yes, it is a SRW E350 12'. 5.4 gasser. I love that engine. The original one was still running beautifully when I pulled it. It had several broken exhaust manifold studs and front timing chain runners were wore out. That was at 574,000 miles. The transmission I changed at 500,000. It was fine, but how long does one trust major components like that? By using Ford reman I now have a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty on both. Cost was 2k for the trans, 3k for the engine, complete. Took me 2 weeks to do it. I was not in any hurry, obviously, but replaced everything else that I can see while the engine was out. Best engine ever. The 2 valve version, which I have, us so much better than the nightmare 3 valve. One easy way to tell which one you have is the coil packs. A 2 valve has an angled coil pack boot. A 3 valve coil pack has a straight boot.

The link for the Transits that I posted earlier were, in fact, cubes , yes. But an excellent alternative to a $sprinter, Chevy cube, or Ford Spartan body cutaway SRW. My main reason for buying one would be so I can haul 3 skids more comfortably. Right now, my current van is 12 ft, but I lose my bed with 3 skid loads. With a 15 ft or larger, (17 ft is the longest), I would still have my bed behind the seats temporarily until unloaded. I also have 49" between wheel wells, so a van like that Transit with no wheel wells would be a nice change. Dual rear wheels would be so much more stable as well. So, I wouldnt buy one of those to haul more freight, but to do the job better. I am more than content with what I make at Load One for the amount of work that I do.
That's exactly why I like this transit I drive. Sleeper space, comfy! Installed an espar heater just now. Will come in handy, heading to MN! I dont own this truck but I hope to buy one like that for myself someday!

Reactions: brokcanadian

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
I'd still like to know if they CAN mess with an under 10k. Pretty sure an under 10k loaded to over 10k is now subject to DOT rules, dually or no dually. Providing someone actually stops and weighs it

I'm gonna stop wondering before I confuse myself any further
I weight about 8200lbs empty!

Reactions: brokcanadian

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just got a load driving a 2000lbs conveyer machine for Tesla. It so huge! Gotta go to MN. Thinking of skipping on driving through WY with the winds and all. Idaho and Montana here I come!
OK , so you run loads without Log Book...
But read your posts ....
In MY MATH ..... 8,200 lbs empty
....2,000 lbs freight
Equals 10,200 lbs ...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, no issues then. Great! :D

(Edit: I give up. School buses, hollowed out motorhomes and small straights)

Last edited:

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Just got a load driving a 2000lbs conveyer machine for Tesla. It so huge! Gotta go to MN. Thinking of skipping on driving through WY with the winds and all. Idaho and Montana here I come!
OK , so you run loads without Log Book...
But read your posts ....
In MY MATH ..... 8,200 lbs empty
....2,000 lbs freight
Equals 10,200 lbs ...

Math was never my favorite subject ;)

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
It will be when you get pulled over. Over 10k lbs gvwr or actual vehicle weight you are a commercial motor vehicle and they deal with you differently. They will write you a bunch of tickets and fines in the thousands of dollars both for you and your company.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It will be when you get pulled over. Over 10k lbs gvwr or actual vehicle weight you are a commercial motor vehicle and they deal with you differently. They will write you a bunch of tickets and fines in the thousands of dollars both for you and your company.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

......and ask for you logbook.
Sorry Officer, I don’t have one.
I’d imagine you’ll be starting a ten hour break.
If he’s nice he’ll let you transfer the load to another vehicle first.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ain't it somethin' when a guy that has a profile pic of Jesus breaks the law on a daily basis ...?
Change your pic, you give Christians a bad name ...

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do we know he breaks the law on a daily basis ?
He probably spends days sitting, days deadheading.and days with loads he can legally haul.
As Christians we should let those without sin cast the first stone.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He probably spends days sitting, days deadheading.and days with loads he can legally haul.

He' s at 8,200 lbs empty ....

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Lol. Christian is not suppose to abide the law. Where did you get that? Respecting authority and abiding the law is a different story. Some 70 years ago I could lawfully kill a bunch of Jews and lawfully be sentenced to death for keeping them safe in my basement. U can lawfully kill a baby that has already been born in New York today! I care not for the law but for honesty. That's the reason I never put those 9950lbs sticker on my truck because that's a lie since I am heavier sometimes. If I get pulled over I'll have to face the music. Its a risk that involves absolutely no lying. Infact if you want to get technical my friend you do the exactly same thing when you drive 5 or 10 miles over the speed limit. You know it's against the law and you take your chances. For the most part I stay under 10k lbs. Grizzly since you want to play moral police, you could generally be nicer to others on this forum. Dont matter if you like them or not, be gentle with people instead of accusing them and calling them names.

Last edited: