Cargo Van GMC van maintenance

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My New Yeller (2015 GMC 12’ srw cube) is the first GM truck I’ve ever owned. Except for my wife’s Buick, we haven’t bought the General’s products since the crappy ones in the 80s.

So, I need some tips and tricks on how to keep this van’s 4.8 happy and healthy, as well as the rest of the truck. Is it an old-style slop bucket that can be treated mercilessly, or is it a sensitive, modern vehicle that needs to be babied (like the newer ones)? I need to get at least 400-500k out of it in order to outlast the payment book, and if it can approach or exceed a million miles, that would be wicked pissah

Seeking expertise

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had the same van but a 2011. It ran synthetic oil from new, changed every 10k. Wasn't a fan of the 4.8 I found it kind of unrefined especially next to the 6.0 but it did the job without any big problems. The 6 sp trans is the potential weak link as it's not as durable as the old 4 sp. Mine had been replaced before I bought it at around 200k. I think the replacement trans have updates on them. Keep preventive maintenance up on it and there shouldn't be any big surprises.

Reactions: xmudman

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had the same van but a 2011. It ran synthetic oil from new, changed every 10k. Wasn't a fan of the 4.8 I found it kind of unrefined especially next to the 6.0 but it did the job without any big problems. The 6 sp trans is the potential weak link as it's not as durable as the old 4 sp. Mine had been replaced before I bought it at around 200k. I think the replacement trans have updates on them. Keep preventive maintenance up on it and there shouldn't be any big surprises.

That’s one advantage to buying from Penske; I have maintenance records going back three years on it. Only entries on that record are PM’s done on it. Hopefully soon I can get a transmission service done on it; the van shifts fine and the fluid doesn’t smell, but it isn’t nice and red like it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
I know of a few people who had that engine/ transmission combination and have had lack of power, reliability issues. The transmission would be always upshifting/downshifting to compensate for the lack of power that the engine had trouble producing. Great for around town, but OTR, a 6.0 engine would of been a better choice.

Reactions: ntimevan

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
I have 4 not box trucks,they are ext vans with the dreaded 6spd.I had 2 other ones i sold with original engines and 700,000 on them running good,I never got more then 320,000 out of the 6 spd.I now get them changed out around 250,000,i have used GM reman,and Jasper never had to use the 3yr 100,000 warranty.

guido4475

Not a Member
I have 4 not box trucks,they are ext vans with the dreaded 6spd.I had 2 other ones i sold with original engines and 700,000 on them running good,I never got more then 320,000 out of the 6 spd.I now get them changed out around 250,000,i have used GM reman,and Jasper never had to use the 3yr 100,000 warranty.

Ford, (Motorcraft), reman engines and transmissions come complete with all fluids, everything, with a 3year unlimited mileage warranty nationwide, parts and labor, even if you put the engine and transmission in yourself. Tow up to 35 miles included. Cant beat that warranty. I replaced both my engine and trans last year. Did both for 5k. Engine was 3$I, trans was 2$I. I spent an extra grand and replaced everything under the hood. Literally. Took me 2 weeks to do it...lol...

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
I have to Fords a 10 and a 12 450,00 and 275,00 all original,i had 875,000 on a 06 with original engine,trans,and rear end.

Reactions: guido4475

guido4475

Not a Member
I have to Fords a 10 and a 12 450,00 and 275,00 all original,i had 875,000 on a 06 with original engine,trans,and rear end.

And I thought that I did good with 500k on my untouched trans, and 575k on my engine. Trans was fine when I pulled it. I felt it was near its life span end. Engine had 4 broken exhaust manifold studs, and excessive timing chain tensioner wear. Ran beautiful other than the cold startup noises.