GMC/Cherolet 6.5 TD Cargo Van Question

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK I am looking for info from owners of GMC/Chevrolet 3500 CVs with 6.5 TD.

I have owned 6.5s and 6.2 in the past, all non turbo and all in ‘burbs. Great mileage and dependability, but they were not drive by wire engines.

So I would like to know what mileage do you get with your 6.5 TD CV.

Also any thing that someone should watch out for with the 6.5 TD?

Thanks in advance

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I had a 6.5 turbo in my 96.5 GMC 1 ton dually cube van. Got 16 MPG out of it. That was a drive by wire truck however.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't want a 6.5 TD . They've had quite a few problems . Go to dieselplace.com and check the GM diesle engine forum archives . Like other engines some owners swear by the engines , some swear at them . Ford bought back a lot of trucks because of problems with the 6.0 powerstroke . GMC is going to make the Duramax available in vans soon if not already .

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the replies.

Murkerfan

If you got 16, I should expect better.

Crazynuff
Yep there are problems with the 6.5, never owned a drive by wire vehicle so I really don’t know what to expect. I know that the PCM unit on the pump fails because of heat build up, but other than that I just don’t know what to expect.

Thanks for the site link; I am going through it now. A lot of good info!

Every dealer I talked to said the same thing about ordering a CV with a Duramax, ‘I don’t know”. GM is not giving these guys any info.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
There is a fix for the modual failure. When it fails extend the wires and mount it in a place where it has air floor to cool it. I did that to mine and NEVER had a problem.

I just went to a local dealership to try and by a 1 ton cargo van. The duramax is not expected out until late in the model year. I ended up leaving with a really nice used half ton pickup. Since I am no longer on the road a pickup will do the job for me just fine.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>There is a fix for the modual failure. When it fails extend
>the wires and mount it in a place where it has air floor to
>cool it. I did that to mine and NEVER had a problem.

Thanks for the confirmation. I really didn't know if I should go ahead and move the PCM or not. Now I will.

I can't see paying $400 for a heatsink and an extension cable. I can live with paying $100 or so for the cable, but not the heatsink when I have maybe a hudred pound of them sitting in my basement. The other nice thing is I now remember I have two DS4 IJ pumps with the modules on them in my shed.I traded them for a VR4 IJ pump, which goes on a VW. The pumps both had crap fuel run through them and the guts are a mess but the electronics are good.

So you got yourself a truck, wow I thought I was the only one to go to a dealer to look and drive away with something new.