GM Van Owners

MSinger

Expert Expediter
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 with 12' cube. Dock high with jackstands. 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

I am probably going to have to replace the above vehicle. While driving home this morning I noticed the rearend start shaking and loss of power, when I looked out my rearview mirror my driver's side dual rear wheels were sticking out about 2 feet farther than normal. Thank God they didn't come completely off before I got stopped. After 523,000 miles I think it is time to part ways. The engine still runs great but the other components are starting to nickle and dime the heck out of me. I love running a cube truck but I always said my next one will be under 10,001# to avoid the logging hassle. I am leaning towards a used GMC Penske truck with the 15' box.
I really like the looks of the 2003 and newer models. My question is that the 2003 and newers are using the 6.0 Vortec V8 as opposed to the old reliable 5.7 (350) in the older models. Has anyone had any experience with the new 6.0 especially those who are used to running the 5.7. Any comparisons between the two. The only common problems I am aware of with these is the fuel pumps. Any response and advise would be appreciated.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
That is my biggest fear. I already had a tire on a '65 olds pass me one day on the freeway - the problem I was driving it.

After only 523,000 miles, I would think it has a lot more life left in the truck. I know of two with 750K on them and I had one '96 3500 that had 450K on it when I sold it in 2002 and now has 650K on it.