Gettysburg, PA: A Great Expediter Tourist Stop

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not when they were fighting against it, that's why they were rebels/ confederates.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Sorry DD, but historians consider both sides Americian.
There was the United States of America ie; the north.
There was the Confederate States of America ie; the south.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
The "Rebels" would have most likely considered themselves Virginians, Texans, Georgians or what ever state they were from, rather than Americans.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Myself, I consider the south almost as a foreign country attacking us because they had their own president and national capital.

That's why I don't think of them as Americans. If that upsets people that are south of the Mason-Dixon line, so be it as that's just how I feel.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Southern states rose in rebellion against a governing entity that they saw as increasingly opressive and unwelcome. That is an American tradition that dates back to the revolutionary war, in which the people who founded this country were called rebels too.

Indeed, many American history makers and change agents became so precicely because they rose up and rebelled against the powers of the day. While some called them unamerican at the time, they are remembered by history as some of the greatest Americans.

Thomas Jefferson said, "A little rebellion now and then ... is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."

In the present day, when federal, state and local governments are regulating every aspect of our existence, I believe that America could benefit from a rebellion from within.

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
This is one of those must see and experience places. It really has an impact on us even today.
I'd also add these historical places to this list:

Washington, DC
Boston, MA
Philadelphia, PA
Richmond, VA

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I agree, the Gettsyburg Battlefield is an amazing and profound place. You get the sense, when standing there--like Gen. George S. Patton did when standing and gazing at on old battlefield in No Africa--of the battle, the huge losses, and the intensity of the conflict. There is a spirit there that remains. Go early morning, late summer/early fall, when the mist from a cool night is upon the fields.

Best estimates say that 51,112 soldiers from both sides died in combat during the three days of the Battle of Gettysburg in July of 1863. That's an amazing figure. Three days. It's said that you could not walk across the battlefield afterward and have your feet find bare ground, for all the slain soldiers everywhere.

As a point of comparison, the United States lost in combat, in Vietnam, 47,355 in the entire conflict from 1955-1975. Twenty years. More dead in combat at Gettsyburg in three days.

Total US deaths in Vietnam over that period were 58,209, combat 47,355.
Total US deaths in the Civil War in the four years of 1861-1865 were 625,000, combat 212,938, by all best estimates.

Regarding listening to Civil War history on CD, I agree that Shelby Foote's three volume series The Civil War: A Narrative, is well worth the expense and time spent. I've had it for years, having first heard Shelby Foote and his amazing voice in Ken Burn's The Civil War, which is out now in a Commemorative edition for $45. Foot's measured southern tone and exact phrasing is widely admired by speakers everywhere, and I wish he was reading his own book here.

Another, really, really, good book on tape is Adam Goodheart's 1861: The Civil War Awakening, which portrays so many cool behind the scenes type figures and a lot of various aspects about that beginning year of the Civil War, Lincoln's first year as president, that you will grow even further in your understanding of America's greatest conflict. I never knew about the huge movement called the Wide Awakes for example, and how they became, largely, the initial militia when Lincoln called to the northern states to send men. Or how the Gettysburg Address was actually preceded by a longer version containing the same, in 1861. About Capt Anderson and the first skirmish at Ft Sumter and how that all actually went down, with his former student at West Point, P.G.T. Beauregard, being the Confederate General who actually gave the command that the bombardment start.

All amazing stuff to listen to (about 18hrs, read expertly by Johnathan Davis), and more than once I've found myself in sync between what I was listening to and where I happened to be when hearing it. I drove across the Scioto River in Columbus OH just as the narrator read a passage about the river and Columbus, and how Abby Kelly--an abolitionist mentioned previously in the narrative--was in the audience of the Ohio Legislature when the announcement was made that Ft Sumter had been fired upon, and how she jumped up and thanked the lord the conflict had finally begun, because she knew it would force a resolution of some sort to the question of slavery.

I was listening to how William Tecumseh Sherman became involved in the war and found myself driving through his hometown of Somerset OH as I listened, right past the statue of him in the center of town. I drove through Fremont IN, named after the great pathfinder John C Fremont, Civil War officer, Senator, and presidential candidate as I listened to tales of his exploits and those of his wife, Jessie. That's what really drives it home for me, is rambling the country and personally visiting the places I hear about in these books.

Also great is NPR's American Chronicles: The Civil War. This one has Shelby Foote speaking himself, reflecting on the southern perspective, and has also Hal Holbrook, Sam Waterston, and much more.

These great books on tape are just so cool to listen to, if you have any inkling of interest towards American history at all, and will help deepen your appreciation and understanding of the United States. Just 150 yrs ago. So momentous. They all thought it would last only a month or two.

I'm glad to see this thread here and hope others become more involved and excited about learning about the Civil War and American history in general.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Get Shelby Footes "The Civil War, A Narrative" on Audible.com, Ive listened to it so many times, I have parts memorised. Thst history has really changed my perspective.

It has been several months since you introduced Diane and me to this three-volume audio book series. Again I thank you, EASYTRADER. This series has provided hundreds of hours of driving companionship while Diane sleeps and the mile markers stream by. It is especially fun to listen when driving in the states in which the battles were fought.

Like you, I have listened to the books several times, and they seem to get more interesting the more times you listen. I purchased and downloaded the third volume today and am looking forward to the many additional hours of the Foote narative.

On the surface, the price for this three-volume series seems high. But if you consider the many hours of satisfying listening the series will provide, the entertainment cost per hour is low and well worth the price.

BTW, the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg battle was celebrated just last week.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Myself, I consider the south almost as a foreign country attacking us because they had their own president and national capital.

That's why I don't think of them as Americans. If that upsets people that are south of the Mason-Dixon line, so be it as that's just how I feel.

Again both are wrong. South Carolina was the first to secede from the Union. The reason being the North wanted to tax Cotton and other farm goods. Nothing to do with slavery as most think. They threw the Slavery thing in because it fit at the time. The longest battle of the civil war was also fought in South Carolina, the battle of Ft. Sumter. The battle raged there for 4 years. It was occupied by the south then over run and taken over by the North for the remainder of the war. It was also the first official battle or the first shot fired was on Ft. Sumter.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter

Thats ok, we down south don't think much of northerns either. The difference is the north thinks it won, we southerns think of this as our rearming time.....:D

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Again both are wrong. South Carolina was the first to secede from the Union. The reason being the North wanted to tax Cotton and other farm goods. Nothing to do with slavery as most think. They threw the Slavery thing in because it fit at the time.

States rights and slavery, in this case inseparable. Pretty much all to do with slavery. But again, as in most things, the main cause of the war was economic.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. . . the main cause of the war was economic.

Seems to me, one side had an economy supported by slavery. Hmmmm. Weird how slavery seems to be involved in every aspect of the conflict.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It has been several months since you introduced Diane and me to this three-volume audio book series. Again I thank you, EASYTRADER. This series has provided hundreds of hours of driving companionship while Diane sleeps and the mile markers stream by. It is especially fun to listen when driving in the states in which the battles were fought.

Like you, I have listened to the books several times, and they seem to get more interesting the more times you listen. I purchased and downloaded the third volume today and am looking forward to the many additional hours of the Foote narative.

On the surface, the price for this three-volume series seems high. But if you consider the many hours of satisfying listening the series will provide, the entertainment cost per hour is low and well worth the price.

BTW, the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg battle was celebrated just last week.

With an Audible membership costing $22 per month for 2 credits, each book can be purchased for 1 credit, or about $11. I plan to get all 3, too.
But first, I put them on my wishlist, because Audible is running a contest [until July 15] that awards your entire wishlist [well, up to $300] to 10 listeners. If I win, I won't even have to use the credits - but either way, I win, IMO.
Audible is worth the $, no question.

HighwayHusky

Active Expediter
I spent a day there last week as well. Just drove to where the busses were, and recieved a guided history lesson for free.

It definitely is a powerful place, and I would recommend anyone with any sense and some free time to spend a day there. It all hinged on little round top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using EO Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1375488105871.jpg
    1375488105871.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 10