Getting started

robertbarnes62

Rookie Expediter
About to buy a truck and would like some input before I make a mistake. I have looked at a couple different trucks that I am thinking about buying. I know I want a class 8 truck. The big question is will I lose a lot of load by getting a single rear axle as opposed to a double read axle truck? How much can I haul with a single read axle? i am thinking about buying a 2007 freightliner with a 22' box it has a single rear axle. Does anyone know what is the max weight I can haul with that truck?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Hauling weight depends on my weight
I think but may be wrong but 33k gvw comes to mind for a single axel truck. I'm sure someone with a heavy haul can shed more light my truck is an m2 with a gvw of 26000 on Cdl

robertbarnes62

Rookie Expediter
Hauling weight depends on my weight
I think but may be wrong but 33k gvw comes to mind for a single axel truck. I'm sure someone with a heavy haul can shed more light my truck is an m2 with a gvw of 26000 on Cdl

I think you are right about the 33k. I now have to figure out what it weights empty so I know how much I can haul.

robertbarnes62

Rookie Expediter
Just remember anything above 26001 lbs. you will need to have air brake endorsement.

Yes, I have my class a cdl. I have been driving off and on since 2007. I been driving an expeditor truck since last May so I almost have a year over the road expeditor experience. I am now looking to buying a truck. I am just wondering should I get a single axel or double axle truck. I know I want a class 8 truck just trying to see what is the big difference in the weight that I can haul. I know with a double I can haul around 18-20k. I have no idea about a single axle though.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yes, I have my class a cdl. I have been driving off and on since 2007. I been driving an expeditor truck since last May so I almost have a year over the road expeditor experience. I am now looking to buying a truck. I am just wondering should I get a single axel or double axle truck. I know I want a class 8 truck just trying to see what is the big difference in the weight that I can haul. I know with a double I can haul around 18-20k. I have no idea about a single axle though.

If it doesn't have a liftgate, you can figure between 19k and 22k for an empty class 8 straight. A double axle would be at the higher end of that, and be able to haul 30k, if you put your GVWR at 52k. When I have a double axle, I put mine at 48, so I have some cushion before maxing out my axle specs.

robertbarnes62

Rookie Expediter
If it doesn't have a liftgate, you can figure between 19k and 22k for an empty class 8 straight. A double axle would be at the higher end of that, and be able to haul 30k, if you put your GVWR at 52k. When I have a double axle, I put mine at 48, so I have some cushion before maxing out my axle specs.
Ok, so on a single axle with no liftgate I can plan to be able to pickup 10k, right?

With that being said, will that result in a lot of missed loads?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
With that being said, will that result in a lot of missed loads?

Just think back on your experience over the time that you have been driving. Do you remember many loads that you would have lost with that setup? If your company had a lot of heavy loads over that time then you should probably plan on that continuing.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
With a single axle, I'd say more like 12k. If the truck is in good shape, I'd seriously think about a third axle. There are a few companies that pay attention to your truck's extras, like rear tandems.

robertbarnes62

Rookie Expediter
Just think back on your experience over the time that you have been driving. Do you remember many loads that you would have lost with that setup? If your company had a lot of heavy loads over that time then you should probably plan on that continuing.

Thanks, I don't know why I did think of this. Ha

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Before you do anything, verify the axle ratings ... In a single rear configuration, the typical set-up is 12K on the steer and either 20 or 21 K on the rear (note that in most states, you are limited to 20 K on the rear even if your axle is rated higher). Personally, I would insist on a scale ticket from the seller ... Ideally with a driver in the truck and fuel tanks topped up. Net payload on a single axle truck can vary greatly depending on truck manufacturer, sleeper size, fuel capacity, lift-gate, landing gear, etc.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I doubt the seller is going to fill the tanks so you can get it weighed and ten say no sale you can always add 7.5 lbs a gallon guessing wha it gonna take to fill it.

robertbarnes62

Rookie Expediter
Before you do anything, verify the axle ratings ... In a single rear configuration, the typical set-up is 12K on the steer and either 20 or 21 K on the rear (note that in most states, you are limited to 20 K on the rear even if your axle is rated higher). Personally, I would insist on a scale ticket from the seller ... Ideally with a driver in the truck and fuel tanks topped up. Net payload on a single axle truck can vary greatly depending on truck manufacturer, sleeper size, fuel capacity, lift-gate, landing gear, etc.

thanks for the reply. I talked to the seller yesterday and he is going to get a weigh ticket and call me back. He said the last owner said it has a payload of 12k. I told him that that may be true but I want to see the scale ticket cause it is very important for me.

robertbarnes62

Rookie Expediter
I doubt the seller is going to fill the tanks so you can get it weighed and ten say no sale you can always add 7.5 lbs a gallon guessing wha it gonna take to fill it.

thanks for the input and you are right I'm sure he will not fill it up when he weighs it so I was going to estimate how much to fill it up and see if the truck will work for me or not.