Getting Started up again in the Southeast

BigBadBen

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey all. I'm relocating. My specialty is finding consistent loads through specific companies and running a dedicated route(interstate).
The issue I have is that i was formerly located in the northeast. I am now in the deep south, specifically Tampa, Florida.
I am realistic in the fact that i will not be able to build contacts right away(not enough to be consistent anyways), my question to you all is whether or not there is a carrier that operates consistently out of florida.

extra points-- 1. I have a Spinter that carries 3 pallets
2. I prefer long runs to california, washington, the northeast but am happy with shorter runs as well(I realize when expediting freight many carriers will not be giving a solo driver a 2000 mile run).

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Florida is bad. You should have chosen TX if you wanted Sun. Maybe if you had a refeer.

BigBadBen

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Haha yah. I know Florida is bad. It was a choice between Florida, Iowa and Laredo. Seriously though, my kids are there.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Hey all. I'm relocating. My specialty is finding consistent loads through specific companies and running a dedicated route(interstate).
The issue I have is that i was formerly located in the northeast. I am now in the deep south, specifically Tampa, Florida.
I am realistic in the fact that i will not be able to build contacts right away(not enough to be consistent anyways), my question to you all is whether or not there is a carrier that operates consistently out of florida.

extra points-- 1. I have a Spinter that carries 3 pallets
2. I prefer long runs to california, washington, the northeast but am happy with shorter runs as well(I realize when expediting freight many carriers will not be giving a solo driver a 2000 mile run).

Many carriers and brokers both will not be giving a solo more than 800 or maybe 900 miles , the exception is a weekend run fri-Monday which is rare but I do them most van runs I think limit drive time to 16 hrs but there have been people here bragging about doing 28-32 hrs non stop bi they're fools!

BigBadBen

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
thx, yah that's pretty much what i figured. I'm ok with that, the hardest part is going to be getting to and from florida i think. Although I'm willing to out 2-3 week at a time then get to florida and just wait for a load out(and visit).

Reactions: morningwood

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
We were usually out of Tampa Bay in a day or 2. Solo straights or vans. Getting into FL was more of a challenge. If it was time to come home we would try to get folks to at least SC, AL, or GA.

Reactions: morningwood

BigBadBen

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll figure something out, if nothing else i'll go with panther. Just wasnt sure if there were any known carriers that run to and from florida much, i knew it was a long shot.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll figure something out, if nothing else i'll go with panther. Just wasnt sure if there were any known carriers that run to and from florida much, i knew it was a long shot.
look else where panther is always hireing that should tell you some thing rite there they go through a lot of solos thy have a tendency to help there owners with multiple trucks before the solos I found out.

BigBadBen

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
yes, I run solo. I've found a few carriers that i'm looking into. I'm still a few months away from getting started. I think i've got most of it figured out now.

Reactions: TDave

BigBadBen

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was able to sign on with a company last week. Tank full tires aired up. Just waiting on a load now.

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
I live in the Tampa area, refer is the way to go keep in mind the medical and military in fla. We can always get out of the state never back in. We Mr out in school and run home. I have a team cube van.

RepoRider

New Recruit
Driver
US Army
On a side note, how you liking it out there. I am also wanting to relocate to that area... Mainly for my hobby.

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Ben, I also moved and run between Tampa & the north east I use panther premium they have frieght , it's never great but it's frieght .