Canada Getting searched by Border Patrol

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
Had the unfortunate fun of being searched by Border Patrol while taking a load into Canada of the other day.

They pulled me over and said that my paperwork was not in order, which I head checked and double checked.

I went into the customs building where they sent me up to the third floor to some other border broker that I knew nothing about. come to find out that the border broker that was crossing me was using them as a third-party office
( guess they can't fit all these so called border brokers in one building)

So I go back downstairs with the paperwork being corrected. immediately they ask if they can search my vehicle. To which I said yes thinking they were just checking the load and let me go on my way.

Wrong move there ...they tore the van apart and had me stand outside in freezing weather while they did their little search.

After that they asked me to come back inside the building weather female agent hand me a paper says you're not going into Canada tonight because I have an assault charge on my license or my background they handed me the paper asked me to sign it and then I told her I my father was from Canada. She then stated if I could show my birth certificate that my father was born in Canada I would have rights to Canada. I went back out to search for this . it took me well over 3/4 of an hour to find it .

After showing the supervisor the paperwork that I had, I was immediately admitted into Canada .My question is did I do anything wrong ? Or do they just like hassling truck drivers?

Also how can they
go back 10 years and the rest of the law enforcement agencies can only go back 7 years?

Can anybody answer this, your help would be appreciated

Joe

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I've been searched once. Know of others that have had bad experiences.
One Trl Transit driver had his dash panels pulled loose. They don't put anything back.
It takes a lot to get me to go up there.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Zorry...it is not a BAD experience, just an experience..lol...it is a known fact of what can happen at the border if your number is picked....more like bad luck that is all...some cross for 30 yrs and never experience that...

just for the record.....you tried to get into Canada WITH a criminal record?....well no wonder you were targeted....DOH....then AFTER they tear apart your van you mention Canadian father.....this whole episode was all YOUR fault...

and for the newbees that might be reading.....a DUI is a criminal offense in Canada....no admission without a pardon.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Canada have a pardon process.
it cost some money & you will need to hire a layer.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Canada have a pardon process.
it cost some money & you will need to hire a layer.

Don't need a lawyer.....just call National Parol Board in Ottawa and they will mail one out.....fill it out include payment and wait....expense of a lawyer is unnecessary.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Don't need a lawyer.....just call National Parol Board in Ottawa and they will mail one out.....fill it out include payment and wait....expense of a lawyer is unnecessary.

When I was looking at trying to get into Canada I found people saying even if you get a ministries permit they won't let you in if driving a truck. Would they let someone with a record in if they were in a CV?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
By any chance did I open up a big new can of worms here?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was looking at trying to get into Canada I found people saying even if you get a ministries permit they won't let you in if driving a truck. Would they let someone with a record in if they were in a CV?

nope.....I've seen cars turned back too.....remember your rights from the US do not extend thru another countries borders....rights are pretty much what the officer decides right on that spot/moment in time...your US rights won't protect you and you are pretty much at the mercy of the officer in charge....the same for coming into the US...they can be a very tough bunch...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
By any chance did I open up a big new can of worms here?

not in the least Joe......What did your dad being a Canadian have to do with anything?....Why did they let you in?.....Did HE live in Canada at the time?....Military? Embassy? I am thinking they thought you were a dual citizen?....Are you an official North American citizen?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can you search my vehicle? I'm sorry, no, I don't have time this time. Maybe next time. Thanks for the kind offer though.

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
not in the least Joe......What did your dad being a Canadian have to do with anything?....Why did they let you in?.....Did HE live in Canada at the time?....Military? Embassy? I am thinking they thought you were a dual citizen?....Are you an official North American citizen?

Actually my fathers a North American Indian. he was born at Muncie Ontario Canada. It made it a lot easier for me with it being on my birth certificate

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually my fathers a North American Indian. he was born at Muncie Ontario Canada. It made it a lot easier for me with it being on my birth certificate

That explains a lot.....Thanks for that Joe......Now you know you can declare that when you try to enter...should "expedite" matters.....LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I once was behind a fellow who got stopped coming into the US....they asked him his citizenship...he declared North American...they wouldn't accept that answer...told him he had to be one or the other......He stood his ground...a supervisor was called and he was let in with an apology.....

paullud

Veteran Expediter
nope.....I've seen cars turned back too.....remember your rights from the US do not extend thru another countries borders....rights are pretty much what the officer decides right on that spot/moment in time...your US rights won't protect you and you are pretty much at the mercy of the officer in charge....the same for coming into the US...they can be a very tough bunch...

It just seems weird that the government says go through these steps and we will let you in then you show up and they say no.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It just seems weird that the government says go through these steps and we will let you in then you show up and they say no.

Joes case was just mis communication...he didn't give all the info and they made a correct decision with the info they had....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

ya see Paul.....there are 2 different depts involved....Customs and then Immigration....despite trying to cross train the best they can, you just might come across an officer who doesn't know the rules...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wait, now I'm confused: you can't enter Canada with a criminal record, but if one parent was born there, then you can, automatically?
Or did I miss something here? :confused:
PS I have no intention of crossing the border in a commercial vehicle, [though I would as a civilian - I like Canada], I just like knowing the correct info.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
If they ask they don't have probable cause, if they don't ask they will tell you so.

Always say No thank you.

Now that's on the American side, if you were in Canada than I don't know.