Getting my feet wet

Dleprechaun

Seasoned Expediter
Hello all.

I have been considering expediting for quite some time, but I do not have my cdl or a partner. I also lack the funds to comfortably purchase the proper truck that would be required.
I have seen an ad here for dock high trucks 24' to 26' that claims to pay $1500.00 a week for local deliveries and much more for out of town runs. I thought that buying a lesser truck for now and doing local work with the occasional out of town run would be ideal for somebody just starting out.
I realize that without knowing how many miles I would be running each week, its hard to determine if the pay is adequate or not. If I could bring home $650 to $700 a week after all expenses and putting a few dollars aside for my next truck, I would be ok with that.
Is $1500 enough? Where else might I get local work if things would get slow with this company?
Thanks for any help!

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
if you wanted to simply get your feet wet you could signon after getting your cdl with a fleet owner and not worry about the expenses. You could even drive a van which doesn't require a cdl and then you could start right away after being hired by a company. you don't necessarily need a partner. call and talk to some of the companies shown on the home page.

woodenships1

Seasoned Expediter
Hi all,

I live in Daytona Beach, Fl. where I've just been laid off from my sales job. I've always been told that I can sell Raid to the ants. What happens when the ants don't have any money? Uh, I think I just found out. So since I was out on the road for 3 weeks at a time anyway I thought I'd look into this business where I'm not banging my head against the wall to make sales in this downturn economy. The previous poster mentioned one can start out driving a van with no CDL. Is that accurate info? I have a squeaky clean record and just like the previous poster I'd like to get my feet wet. If anyone knows of any companies looking for dependable peeps with good job history and clean background please give me a nudge. Thanks in advance.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I believe Panther still requires you to have a hazmat endorsement to drive a cargo van for them. You may want to try giving bolt or one of those companies a call...unless of course you plan on taking the hazmat test. Oh, and I seen that you are in the Florida area. You may have a little trouble getting home when you'd like to. I was just down there and did not have any luck at all getting loads had to dh out and I'm still deadheadin to charlotte, nc probably. Not the best time of year for expeditors.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I believe you will find ALL Expediting Companies will require a class B CDL. Panther will not require Haz Mat for a Van (they didn't as of last August) at Orientation they said NO Haz Mat shipped by Van.

Jonlar

Seasoned Expediter
Take this with a grain of salt as I have never drivin a cargo van for an expiditer but Fed Ex it seems is not highering any right now and has not been for a while. If Team drving is What you whant to do there are plenty of trucks out there that have just one person in them already and are in need of a co driver. That way No exp requiered at all as the other person can run the show till you get the hand of it. Down side of course is you will need a cdl up side That amy not be that hard to get :) And I would make the argument that as far as difculty to drive A cargo van and a str Trk are not a whole lot different :)