Getting back into expediting

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I was talking to a guy who bought trucks to make winter money since he's in construction. He leased on with PTL out of Toledo and says he's done well for the year he's been with them. Do they have a good reputation?
Also, this guy says one of his trucks did $3000 last week at the company's $1.30/mi which means 2300 miles. At 32% that comes to $960. Is 32% good in this situation? (almost $.42/mi) When I ran 6 years ago, 30-35% was common...now it seems low. What's the input out there?

Also, just wanted to say this is one great site!!! I've learned so much in the couple of days I've been here. I plan to look for a truck once I get a down payment saved up, and I'll be back asking more questions about that! :7

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Tennesseahawk;
It is true that one of his trucks did over $3000 that week. That was an exceptional week. Most of our straight trucks will average anywhere from $1500 to $2250 per week, depending on: the driver's availablity; the equipment availability (breakdowns) and load availability. You will always see variances in weekly settlements due to the above. It is always best to view pay and revenue on at least a one month period (and NOT July).
The drivers for our fleet owners do quite well for themselves provided they are not afraid to work. Again, that goes for most companies.
The fleet owner you are speaking about just purchased another straight truck (his third) and is seeking another driver. Please feel free to give me a call with any questions or concerns you may have 1-800-661-3166.
Premium Transportation Logistics is a good company - ask our drivers (contractors)!
Lastly, with a screen name like yours, I must assume that you are a Seahawks fan stranded in Tennessee. It may be a big year for the Seahawks.
Thanks,
John Mueller
HotFr8Recruiter

:D

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
not stranded in Tennessee...just wish I were :7

Big year? Finally, after 24 years with this team, I would say so. This team is as hungry as any I've seen since the 70's Steelers...maybe moreso. :9

As for driving for someone else, I've decided to go it alone. Why give up the 60-70% to an o/o when I can do it all myself. I have the experience, all I need is the truck.

Thanx