Getting a fresh start

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
Hello everyone,
Well due to some bad loads, luck and driver I have to give up my OTR truck. Been trying to get this thing to do something for the last 6 months but it has been all downhill . Thats life and in reality it was a relief. I guess the kicker was when the loan officer said I should let my house payments and utilities get behind and close to being shutoff that I realized what madness it was. Have all my bill behind and the truck paid makes less sense than let the truck go and get all the other stuff back into the positive. At least to me it does.

The good part is that I have not been deterred. I still love the industry but I had to learn a few lessons first. I am going to take some time off asnd then look into getting an expedite truck. Maybe a C or D unit and go from there. I am actually thinking of a International 4300 with class 8 running gear and with 4 doors. This would allow me to get in and out of the back of the truck without having to go over the front seats all the time, and make it easier to load supplies. Maybe 96" sleeper on the back or so. Just all thoughts right now. So now the research begins. I actually wondered if I could put a sleeper shell on a truck and custom do the inside myself. I thought that might be neat.

I am thinking of a International 4300 or the Freightliner Business class as a starting platform. These trucks will be showing up on the used markets soon and I am sure I could get one for pretty cheap.

So I am looking for your ideas as I start this new adventure.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Hi OTR, sorry about your downward journey in "big" trucking. I would recommend taking it slow and easy. There are many good fleet owners who are looking for dependable drivers. Why not start there? Get a feel for the industry and make good money while you learn our side of trucking. Look into EO's Drivers wanted and get going. Good luck and keep us posted how you're doing. If there's anything we can help with, don't hesitate to ask. On your dream truck idea, remember most carriers are requiring 5 year or newer trucks. FYI

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
I am not real sure but with the four door cab and a 96 inch sleeper you may be over length with a 24 foot box. That will leave you to be a C UNIT with no chance for the D loads. And by saying that I have read alot on here that you should atleast be set up as a D unit just for the load offers that will come to you.
I too am sorry that you are in a tight position, but it sounds like to me you are not a quiter and I am sure you will be successful in the near future.
Best of luck

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Use 40 foot total length in any straight truck configuation.
Davekc

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
Well looking at the numbers it looks like I might be able to pull it off with the extended cab version. THis would give me some room behind the seats to recline and store things without having to put it all in the sleeper. The BBC length for the 4300 is 133" and a 22' box is 264". If I put an 86" sleeper on it set up like the KW version it would be just a bit over 40' (480") by 3 inches but I am sure not enough to notice.

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
Does anyone have any ifo on the Ford F650 or 750. I went to look at one today and what a neat truck Reminds me of my F-150. Has air ride seat, air brakes, auto trans and a cat motor. Looks like a nice truck to use as a base for an expeditor rig! The one question I have is it looks like it will come up a bit short on frame. Can you get frame extensions on trucks?

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
BE careful...those D.O.T. measuring tapes don't lie,and what could you possibly do to get back in service if you are ever shut-down for that violation? Paul

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
I'm sure they do... others can help you more on that,as I only was "inspected" roadside two times,but I did see one 6-wheeler on the shoulder once where the D.O.T. guy was even measuring the height/width and distance side to side of the ICC(DOT)bumper,just to make sure.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd be sure to be 2 or 3 inches below maximum just in case of some knothead inspector. I wonder what the ride would be like if you took an Argosy and put a box on the back. Would give a 24' box only about 34' overall.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yes you can be measured. We have been measured in NC,SC, and FL
Davekc

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
I had thought about an argosy. I am very much in research mode right now. I plan to get all the details figured out and then put out the cash to get the truck done. I hope to have it at least 50% paid for if not 100% when I buy it.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
If you travel in TN there is almost daily use of the rest area at Northbound I-65 mm 48 . They check paperwork and everything better match . They use this area to train new inspectors so sometimes they get pretty nitpicky . Also be very careful of your weight in IL . They have no tolerence on axle weight and will make you shift the load to within limits before you proceed . About a month ago on I-80 I heard there was a driver with a straight truck willing to pay $100 to anyone would could let him use a pallet jack for 5 minutes so he could move one pallet a few feet .

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
I was wondering about that and moving pallets. In the USAF we have a single roller systen with locks that would really be nice to have. Put the pallet on the rollers and move it where you need it then lcok it in. Would make times like that alot easier.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Generally speaking, how much tolerance (if any) do the state inspectors allow on the 40-foot limit on the overall length of a D truck?
If an inspector issues a ticket because a truck is a few inches -- only a few inches -- over the 40-foot limit, how expensive is such a ticket?
In the past my wife and I have owned and run E trucks, but now we're in the process of making our plans for a D truck instead.
Thanks for your insights.
Doc.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
Don't push the 40' limit one inch.
The DOT inspectors are paid to go by the book... some are human and will cut you a break form time to time... but most are "Barney Fifes" taking great pleasure in their authority. You will not be able to shorten you truck... you will receive a serious fine and have to be towed away. Then you always have to worry... "did Barney Fife put your truck in a database and redflag you for any other inspector in his or all other states?

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
>Don't push the 40' limit one inch.
>The DOT inspectors are paid to go by the book... some are
>human and will cut you a break form time to time... but most
>are "Barney Fifes" taking great pleasure in their authority.
> You will not be able to shorten you truck... you will
>receive a serious fine and have to be towed away. Then you
>always have to worry... "did Barney Fife put your truck in a
>database and redflag you for any other inspector in his or
>all other states?

Seems like the DOT should be worried about more inportant issues than if a truck is too wide or a bit too long. Honestly sounds like the DOT just like to harass truckers for no reason. Imagine if cars were inspected like this how much outrage there would be

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Cars are inspected like this is MA . Every car needs annual inspections including emissions . Inspections supposedly include checking the VIN , front suspension , headlight alignment , parking brake , frame rust etc . If anything fails a rejection sticker is placed on the windshield and I believe you only have 10 days to get the faulty item repaired . Some inspection stations skip parts of the inspection but they are fined heavily if caught doing so . If you buy a vehicle with a current unspection sticker it must be inspected again so the registration number matches .

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
>Cars are inspected like this is MA . Every car needs annual
>inspections including emissions . Inspections supposedly
>include checking the VIN , front suspension , headlight
>alignment , parking brake , frame rust etc . If anything
>fails a rejection sticker is placed on the windshield and I
>believe you only have 10 days to get the faulty item
>repaired . Some inspection stations skip parts of the
>inspection but they are fined heavily if caught doing so .
>If you buy a vehicle with a current unspection sticker it
>must be inspected again so the registration number matches .

Yes NJ is the same way but you don't see cars getting inspected on the side of the road day in and day out. I would gladly do a once a year inspection over the way it works now. The DOT is just another way to harass truckers and get money out of them in my opinion. There may be some good ones but most are power hungry jerks.