Getting a CDL Class C.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone know whats really on the test and what you have to do to get a CDL Class C? I just want to figure out what I need to study and plan for. Been studying a lot for the basic CDL A and was just wanting to know if thats the right thing to study for or look at something else. Thanks in advanced.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Each state is different you will have to contact your DMV in your state.

But for Georgia I had to pass the general knowledge test. Then set up a driving test appointment. Then had to do a pre-trip and driving test. Then I got my Class C CDL.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
class A you can drive everything. class B for straight truck is what you probably will need to expedite. the thing is if you have no driving experience , you have to take written test and road test..then if you need endorsements means more written tests

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Alright thanks guys :) Im going to the sec of state tomorow to see what all I have to do hopefully I can get one real soon :D

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
In Tn the drivers manual was broke down in sections to what you needed to study to get each type CDL. You take the written tests, then get a health card and set up an appointment for the pre trip, air brake and road test. I got my health card first, because if you can't get that, there is no need to put yourself through the other. The appointment to take the pre trip and road test was the catch that held me up. It was like 3 weeks before they could test me.

mamaduck

Seasoned Expediter
Just go to your local BMV each stste is differant I didn't need a health card. I didn't have to take a road test or do a pre trip. All I have to do was either take the haz mat test or passanger test and sign a paper about my personal vehicle and I was good to go

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
With nearly everything being online now, maybe your state's website will have some helpful info that might save you a trip.
Also: did you see the 'sticky' at the top of the forum, about getting a CDL?

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Which state does not require a health card and prep trip and driving test. I thought there were minimum requirements because of the Fed Dot rules? My wife will be taking her test in a couple of weeks when we get back home. She read that post and now she wants to move.
:D
Thanks

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Alright thanks guys :) Im going to the sec of state tomorow to see what all I have to do hopefully I can get one real soon :D

you used the term " sec of state".
I will asume you are in michigan.
Be sure to insist that you need class c, some of the ding dongs there confuse that with chauffers.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Which state does not require a health card and prep trip and driving test. I thought there were minimum requirements because of the Fed Dot rules? My wife will be taking her test in a couple of weeks when we get back home. She read that post and now she wants to move.
:D
Thanks

In the past, a DOT physical wasn't required to get a license, but it is required to actually work. That's changing. It will be required to get a license and in the near future will be on file electronically and we won't have to carry a card with us.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
You would be correct Raggman, Im just outside of flint michigan. I stopped in today and they told me I need to do a written test, and a road test. Will I be able to get away with a road test in a van or what not? It looks like it wont be in a semi thank god but stupid me forgot to ask what kind of vehicle it would be in. And I forgot to ask about adding a endorcement to it. I have to go by there tomorow so ill just stop and ask the follow up questions, they were quit busy today so I didn't wanna take up to much time.