GENSETS

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
ABOUT TO PURCHASE A NEW TRUCK WITH A AUX GENERATOR, HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAD ANY DEALINGS WITH AN AUX? IF SO WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS OF THIS UNIT? ALSO TRYING TO DECIDE BETWEEN THE HAWK AND THE GENHAWK UNITS AND WHICH ONE IS BETTER FOR OUR TYPE OF APPLICATION? ANY INPUT WILL BE APPRECIATED! THANKS ALOT SHARP327 :)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
only way to go, i'm on my second truck with a genset
and wouldn't go any other way, most genset's use about 3 gallons
in 24 hours say sitting at the detrioter in woodhave mi, you would use
9 gallons of fuel with a genset or if you didn't you would
use about 75 gallons of fuel for the weekend
plus 1 hour of idling is equal to 50 miles down the road
in 1st 4 years saved 12,000 dollars in fuel and 4,000 dollars in maintance cost,
plus all the hours you keep off the engine, and the comfort
of 110 /and the ac
call bill moore at tsi 800 388 3850, get a proheat if you belong
to ooida there was a discount or if fedexcc there was one
have to check later

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Since the question is about the AUX unit, I'll answer only that.

AUX has a new system that allows it to cycle on/off as needed. This gives great fuel effeciency (advertised .09 gph). If you really want an AUX, get this one. Mine gives .25 to .35 gph, when it works. It quit 4 months ago in Jacksonville.

The next thing you'll have to do is learn how to repair it and how to order parts. The number the AUX website gives for ordering parts has never answered my calls. I have had some success ordering thru Cummins-Atlantic, as they used to provide service. The website for AUX suggests that you can get parts thru the PACCAR dealers network, but I have yet to find one that does it.

As for service, the only authorized service I have found in the lower 48 is the Alumibunk distributer in Woodhaven, MI. They left all the screws out when replacing a part, so I won't go back there. Make sure you get a service manual at the time of sale.

The Kubota engine can be serviced at any Kubota dealer, and probably cheaper than going to a RV dealer.

And by the way, the noise and vibration rivals the truck engine, which will shame you into shutting down often. Hope all this helps.

Vernon

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP! NOW IF I DECEIDE TO GO WITH AN AUX GENSET I'LL BE PREPAIRED WITH A BIT OF KNOWLEDGE FOR ASKING THOSE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS LIKE THE REPAIR MANUAL AND SUCH! HEY THANKS AGAIN!!! KINDA WISH IT HAD BEEN PRAISE INSTEAD OF FAULT BUT THAT'S WHY I ASKED! :) :( :) :(

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
check out proheat web site, and they list dealers where you can get service, i'm also a field rep for proheat and have checked out
many dealers to make sure they were doing there job,
also had service warranty work done to and places i stopped knew what
they were doing
myself like tsi in north jackson oh

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
GENSET in Jacksonville did ours and they do a great job. ICT sleepers installed ours. Certainly well worth the money. Great service and finding parts are easy. Parts on ours are available at NAPA stores. They cost about $5,000 but they do finance them. Not sure how that part works though.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
couldn't remember on the last post but the web address is www.truckgen.com. Klaus is a great person to work with and Dano is certainly top notch on anything technical, not to mention a great mechanic that does repairs right the first time!

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
love my proheat, from the 18th of sept to 20th's
ran 4 freeze's and 4 refer for over 48 hour's didn't
quit until one of teenagers saw we have power and turned on
hairdry and knok off gemset until firgure out how to reset the
reset button and tsi helped out with inst over the phone
and it was up and running
so after that was running just running my stuff and not the whole