generators etc

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your post is an excellent example of why I think the stand-alone unit is the way to go. If you want to keep the truck warm, plug it into the generator.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
I went with Thermo Kings Tri Pak 3 weeks ago. I went with the Thermo King dealer 150 miles from my house, in De Pere, Wi. The people there invented the Tri Pak and should be the most experienced at servicing them.

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
Well so far the ProHeat Gen4 installed on my Freightliner has been ok,I have not taken it in for its Valve adjustment yet but I been doing the servicing myself. NAPA Auto seems to carry everything for it. So every 400hrs I change everything!, And I noticed you have to check the belts to make sure they are tight(what a difference that made) I will get it to a dealer for an update and also check the Temperature and Low Battery Start not sure if it doing what it suppose to do. My one complant was the cooling just did not seem to have a great punch.(would use the truck system to get the truck cool but the ProHeat had a hard time holding the Temp.)

AbeJr
Stand Tall & Be Proud

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Well I have used my Rigmaster for a couple months now, and it is all that I had hoped for. It works Great. Would buy another without a second thought. Happy Trucking.......Butch :D :D :D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
One factor to consider with any generator is noise. How loud is it when it runs? Some are as loud as truck engines. Others sound like unmuffled lawn mowers. The quietest generator Diane and I have seen and/or used is the Onan QuietDiesel. When we run it and the Fantastic ceiling fan in the sleeper at the same time, the fan noise is louder than the generator. Standing next to the truck when the Onan is running, conversations can be had without raising your voice.

Generator noise can make a difference as to where one can be used without drawing unwanted attention or being unconsiderate to others; like in hospital zones, residential neighborhoods or parked next to a busy downtown city sidewalk. Reduced generator noise also improves the quality of life inside the sleeper.

Another feature that is well worth the added price is an option, available on an increasing number of generators today, that monitors truck voltage and automatically starts the generator if the truck battery voltage drops below a set point. In some applications, that option eliminates entirely the need to carry a sleeper-dedicated battery setup.