Cargo Van generator

guido4475

Not a Member
Maybe a Onan emerald 3600 watt generator. Rocketman, who is retired, did an excellent job of putting one under his cargomax at the time, full exhaust, fuel fed from the factory van gas tank, remote start, everything. Serviceability and repairs under there would be difficult, but can be done, and I'd put some kind of frontal cover between the rear axle and the generator to shield it from the rain and snow spray.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think an under mount would be super nice. Just keep in mind your usual changing oil every hundred hours or so of use.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have the longest Transit body length there is room between the axle and the spare tire. Service is actually easy. The front of the generator, which is actually facing rearward, the complete front side comes off with 2 quarter turn screws. I can check, drain and fill the oil easily and have easy access to the air cleaner and spark plug. Just need to lay on your back and slide under the van behind the rear tires. If it ever needs serious service, everything just unplugs and you can drop out the generator with 4 easily accessed bolts. I have the Onan 2,800 with remote start and hour meter. It's capable of powering my 13,500 AC and microwave at the same time. And the Transit comes standard with an extra fuel tap on the top of the tank to run the generator and/or Espar. No one builds brackets yet that I know of, I just built my own.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1468298569.787537.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1468298608.538808.jpg