Generator question

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Was wondering if 2000 watts or 1450 continuous is a big enough generator to run a ac unit

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Not from what VERY LITTLE I have read on the subject.
Keep reading.

Unless you are making a wine cellar out of a WELL insulated broom closet.
Cooling a convection oven of a van?
No, IMO.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
do generators lose some power with age?....My Honda 2,000 does not want to power up my 10,000 BTU AC anymore....can't handle the power surge of the compressor kicking in....it goes into overload mode....yes I have it running normally not in eco mode....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
More than likely it's the compressor wanting more power to start than normal. The compressor induction motor may be wearing out, or need oiled, cause it to draw more amps than previously.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
do generators lose some power with age?....My Honda 2,000 does not want to power up my 10,000 BTU AC anymore....can't handle the power surge of the compressor kicking in....it goes into overload mode....yes I have it running normally not in eco mode....

Let me know if you end up needing a generator. It's a little heavier, at 73# dry weight but it rated 2000/2400 and it works!!
Yes, I finally got my Hyundai back. Apparently it was a bunch of BS between the shop and Midland Power, the warranty administrator, that delayed it's repair.
I need to get back home and test the heck out of it but it cycled on Eco and fired up very easily.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me know if you end up needing a generator. It's a little heavier, at 73# dry weight but it rated 2000/2400 and it works!!
Yes, I finally got my Hyundai back. Apparently it was a bunch of BS between the shop and Midland Power, the warranty administrator, that delayed it's repair.
I need to get back home and test the heck out of it but it cycled on Eco and fired up very easily.

Thanks for the offer buddy....:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
More than likely it's the compressor wanting more power to start than normal. The compressor induction motor may be wearing out, or need oiled, cause it to draw more amps than previously.

I just read an article that ambient temp can effect surge start up as well...when I tried it last month it was in the 70's....NOW the AC was in a HOT van at about 100 degrees....and it is a no go on the Honda
The AC has a ton of hours on it as well....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just read an article that ambient temp can effect surge start up as well...when I tried it last month it was in the 70's....NOW the AC was in a HOT van at about 100 degrees....and it is a no go on the Honda

Are you able to test the AC on "shore power"? I'd be betting the rent right about now that the AC has seen better days, but if it starts OK on "shore power" then maybe the Honda has had it.

Seems to me that a 2,000 watt generator might be a little small for powering an air conditioner, especially since I've seen so much other stuff plugged in needing power too.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you able to test the AC on "shore power"? I'd be betting the rent right about now that the AC has seen better days, but if it starts OK on "shore power" then maybe the Honda has had it.

Seems to me that a 2,000 watt generator might be a little small for powering an air conditioner, especially since I've seen so much other stuff plugged in needing power too.
Yep....shore power compressor kicks right in.....My Honda is only 2 yrs old but has a ton of hours on it.....it powers my Microwave 700w and other stuff just fine....BUT like I said...it powered up the AC just about 6 weeks ago just fine.....glad I tried it out again instead of dragging it around with me....

BTW I powered up my 5,000 BTU AC and it worked just fine on it....

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

If you can get into the ac's wiring adding a hard start capacitor might help with that problem, they are pretty cheap find a refrigeration supply house should be able to get one for less than $20 it piggybacks the regular run capacitor.

Sent from my LG-D500 using EO Forums mobile app