Generator Mind Blast

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Last summer we ran a 2000/2200 (peak) Honeywell for an 8000 BTU Portable Air unit. Setup worked fine, but was not happy with the run time of 4 hours. This combo cycled and ran well on Eco mode....though she kicked up quite often during cycling/compressor running. Cost? 275.00 for the 8000 BTU, and 600.00 for the Honeywell = 875.00 to run adequate air unit in van.

Top mount unit is not an option, as I'm not drilling holes or cutting out the fiberglass top, and we don't need the extra height.

Three ways to go IMV......

1) Live with the 4 hours run time, and adequate.

2) Find a 2000ish low db unit (higher capacity tank) and mount in front of grill.

3) Use the same 8000 BTU air unit (likely, as it works great) and obtain a higher end enclosed inverter unit, with larger tank capacity/run time. The leader here is:

Yamaha EF2400ISHC EF2400iSHC - 2000 Watt Inverter Generator

4) There is a 4th option for running a 5000/6000 BTU window air unit, using the proven Honda 2000i/Yamaha equivalent......but these units are actual 1600 Watt and low tank capacity as well. Not a good answer. Some will say, 5000 BTU will not really cool you're living space, given the placement options.

Need feedback on the potential front mount LOW db unit, potential fuel feed options to the Honeywell set-up, and any acquired knowledge on the 5000 to 6000 BTU window units, using the 1600 Watt proven generators.

Know it's all been covered before, but it's approaching Summer, and maybe worth some updated comments from all angles. Thanks in advance. :p

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
They make a eu2000i companion.. it has 30amp breaker ..designed to run roof air units...there around $1100 ..I swear by the Hondas..mine uses approximately 1/10 gal per hour even running my 5000btu a/c..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
asjssl They make a eu2000i companion.. it has 30amp breaker ..designed to run roof air units...there a round $1100 ..I swear by the Hondas..mine uses approximately 1/10 gal per hour even running my 5000btu a/c..

Can you expand on that? Does the 5000, I assume window air unit (WAU) provide adequate coverage? What's the set up?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
This my setup on my old van..I will get some pics of my new truck..hope it gives you some ideas
it cooled the van fine except in Laredo in August..

gen5.jpgIMG00802-20100628-2022.jpg

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
This my setup on my old van..I will get some pics of my new truck..hope it gives you some ideas
it cooled the van fine except in Laredo in August..

View attachment 8926View attachment 8927

That's the type set up, whereby one can get by with the 1600 Honda (I prefer the Yamaha, due to footprint) and would seem to be fine for sleeping area, which I plan to cordon off. I believe either generator would run a 6000 BTU window unit?

That's a nice setup, and do you run some kind of fuel transfer kit?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Its the tank on top...gravity and the Hondas do have a fuel pump in them..

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2000 Honda runs my 13500 rooftop.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Coleman powersaver roof top. Designed to run with 2000 watt gens. Your normal Honda 2000i, roof top runs off a 20 amp plug.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Also, if you have an AC that the generator will otherwise run but won't start it because of the initial power surge, you can add a simple "hard start capacitor" (sometimes known as a "soft start kit) to the AC unit and solve that problem. The specs will give you the "Compressor Locked Rotor Amps" which is the initial amp draw of the motor. That can be 40, 50 amps or more on some units.

Another thing that can help is to alter the startup sequence of the AC. Generator ON, then turn the AC's fan ON, give it 30 seconds or so to calm down from the initial 5-7 amp draw down to 3 amps or so, and THEN turn on the AC's compressor. Another consideration is to run the generator for 5-10 minutes before turning anything on that will be running off it.

Best thing, of course, is to not try and match up a generator that is less than what the AC builder recommends.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Actually, I liked the 8000 BTU portable. It takes up little room, one builds a "sleeve" for it to ride in, and the unit does pretty well overall.

KY-80 Soleus 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner With R-410A Refrigerant

Time consideration is at play here, because we need the van insulated (more important for air, than heat IMV). Takes about an hour to build the sleeve/storage cabinet where passenger seat is....and I'll leave room there for future low drain battery.

It's too bad, but we can't seem to find a low db unit that could be mounted on the front. Asjssl's set up does give a nice option though. Just don't think the 1600 generators will run the 8000 Soleus We either have to go with some kind of feed to the Honeywell.....or jump 750.00 to get the 2000 Watt Yamaha; which only runs a 1.6 gal tank.

I see now we have a 10,000 BTU, in black.

EdgeStar Smallest Footprint 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner - AP10002BL

All may sound kinda fretful, but we're only doing this one time. Buy it, live with it. :)

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I tried a ( actually 3 different models) portable a/c in my new truck.... PROBLEM is they all have fancy elec boards in them ...not just a standard basic dial...the eu2000 wouldn't run it...the electronics would fault out/trip..

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
FYI...keep in mind..no matter what a/c you get ..no matter how good ...won't do much good without power.. ie all I hear is problems with other gen sets..talk to Murray..he will tell you...you never hear anyone complaining about there Hondas...mine has thousands of hours on it...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
FYI...keep in mind..no matter what a/c you get ..no matter how good ...won't do much good without power.. ie all I hear is problems with other gen sets..talk to Murray..he will tell you...you never hear anyone complaining about there Hondas...mine has thousands of hours on it...

Murrays problems are all self inflicted tho.....he never bought the right set-up for an aux. fuel tank.....the gen. itself has not been the problem.....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't think you can go on eBay and by a premade setup like you could for the Honda. It calls for a little experimenting had the same thing when I ran the ryobi.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I could of swore I read it was in the repair shop ..anyhoo...my POINT was no a/c big, small, roof or window unit is any good without power to it...soooooo put your $$ into a GOOD power unit IE. generator first...just my observation and conclusion of a few years of tinkering around.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sometimes money up front matters even a couple hundred bucks can be the difference between have and have not.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
You guys are both kind of right.
My wife surprised me with a Hyundai 2000 watt suitcase generator.
It always worked fine until I got SICK of refilling the 1 gallon tank on it. That's a hard break at 02:30 in 10 degree weather.
I decided to add the remote gas tank to dramatically extend the run time.
What I didn't understand is that this is much harder to get "right" with a gravity fed generator. Plus the fact the system vents back over to the tank.
Adding a gravity feeding aux tank that relies on siphoning the fuel or just gravity pressure just overloads the entire system and liquid gasoline just shoots out of the carb. Danger!
After one of those attempts at getting the right height on the remote tank a board or GFI switch failed inside. But I kept assuming my setup was wrong and was "pushing" too hard. Even the Onan service guy in Indy thought this.
Hyundai put it in the shop under warranty and owned up to a "known problem" with this model.
I should have the unit back this week. Yes, it has taken WAY too long.
But I will add the remote tank back to it but just on a straight gravity feed from the same level as within the high and low fuel levels of the factory fuel supply.
So everyone cross your fingers for me. :)

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
NOTE - Don't let your wife surprise you it ha generator for your birthday. And buy one that more than carries the load you need.