Generator Battery Charger?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Will a 2000 watt generator run a battery charger that puts out 55 amps?
What about a 40 amp charger?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say no. Watts = amps x volts, and here in the States volts usually = 120, so 55 amps x 120volts = 6600 watts. A 40 amp charger? 4800 watts.

However, I will admit my error if wiser heads (or shells) prevail. :)

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The charger is a 2/10/40 Schumacher SE-4020.
In the spec sheet it says Input Current Cont is 2.0A, 4.5A, 10A.
120 volts X 10A = 1200 watts.

It also has a 200Amp jump start feature but am sure that will draw way to much.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
The charger is a 2/10/40 Schumacher SE-4020.
In the spec sheet it says Input Current Cont is 2.0A, 4.5A, 10A.
120 volts X 10A = 1200 watts.

It also has a 200Amp jump start feature but am sure that will draw way to much.

I have the shumacher SC-100/30a and have used it except for the Starting 100 amp. It has certainly brought life back to my batteries. Seems like the de-sulfation mode makes a difference. I have plugged it in my Powerpac 5.5kw to charge up other batteries without a problem. I don't remember the exact draw on my unit but I recall the % was quite low. If the draw side doesn't exceed the generator's capacity, you should be fine...might try to rent one to try out before committing the $s to buy one.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, a 40 amps is 4800 Watts, but that's output, not input. 110/120 volt household current circuits are a max of 30 amps, with 20 amps being typical, especially for older wiring. You plug something that draws 40 amps into a household electrical plug and it'll blow or trip a fuse immediately. For a 40 amp appliance you need a 240 volt circuit like a clothes dryer or oven or an air conditioner with those cоckeyed three spade plugs).

The "amp service" is the rating of electrical power available to your home. Most older homes have 60 amp service. Newer homes were updated to 100 or 150 amp service. The standard for most US homes today is 200 amp. You can find out what your service is by looking at the top breaker in your electrical box (or the Main Breaker), it should be stamped on that. But even if you have 200 amp service, you're not going to get 200 amps out of a single plug. You'll blow fuses or fry wiring if you try.

The "Input Current Cont is 2.0A, 4.5A, 10A" is what it draws, not what it outputs. The 200A jump start is achieved by a capacitor, not a direct draw from the generator or the household plug.

Since a 2000 Watt generator outputs 16.6 amps, yeah, it'll handle the 10 amp max draw of that charger with ease.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wiser shells have prevailed. I was wrong :rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The whole amps/watts/volts thing can be confusing. Don't ask me about Ohms, I ain't got a clue.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I know what it is, I just don't understand it. I don't understand electricity, for that matter. :D

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
My eu2000 puts out 8 amp DC when running...I have it wired to my house batteries

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I just bought a converter. Mine is 35amps wired to my house battery I just plug it in to my generator and it will charge them up. You get them from rv stores max draw is 600 watts. I think you can get then up to 100 amps

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app