Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
4 cups shredded cabbage

1-cup sour cream
4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
salt & pepper to taste

Or, 1-cup mayonnaise, 1/3 cup sugar, 2-tablespoons vinegar, 1-tablespoon prepared mustard, 3 tablespoons horseradish

Lots of ways to play with it.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
4 cups shredded cabbage

1-cup sour cream
4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
salt & pepper to taste

Or, 1-cup mayonnaise, 1/3 cup sugar, 2-tablespoons vinegar, 1-tablespoon prepared mustard, 3 tablespoons horseradish

Lots of ways to play with it.
You might be underestimating the potency of my horseradish.. Lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You might be underestimating the potency of my horseradish.. Lol
Well, yes and no. You just want to add the amount of horseradish that you like. Not so much that it's overpowering, but enough that it kicks. Add a little, taste it, then add more until it tastes right.

I make my horseradish in a food processor, and I do it all kinds of ways. If I want it really pungent I'll cut it into cubes and blend it with a little water (1/4 to 1/2 a cup or so) and a dash of salt for up to 3 minutes until it's almost a smooth paste, then add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar and pulse blend for another 30-60 seconds. That's gonna be pretty hot... what with waiting 3-4 minutes before adding the vinegar and with having all those cell walls broken down about as much as possible by making a paste.

Sometimes, after cutting it into cubes for the food processor, I'll make a mixture of about one cup of 50/50 water and vinegar. I'll pour a little plain water into the food processor right from the start, adding more of the water/vinegar as I go as needed. I rarely use the whole cup of liquid. But I blend until the horseradish is smooth but still chunky, like minced garlic. So, two things, adding the vinegar from very early on, and leaving it more chunky, both creates a still pungent but rather mild horseradish.

Most often, though, instead of cutting it into cubes I'll just peel it and then feed it into the food processor onto a fine grating blade to grate it from the start. That'll wake it up and cause those isothiocyanates to be released quickly. Then I'll swap the grating blade with the chopping blade, which I take 2-3 minutes to do, then I'll add some 50/50 water/vinegar, and salt, and pulse blend for 30-60 seconds, scraping down the bowl a few times. That results in a pretty potent horseradish.

It's mostly about how finely chopped it is, and how soon you add the vinegar. If really mild is a 1, and hot as it can get is a 10, I like mine about a 7 or 8.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Horseradish, wasabi, mustard, broccoli, cabbage, and Brussels sprout are all of the same family. The pungent aroma of horseradish and wasabi is from the mustard oil contained within, and is the same stuff you get when crushing mustard seeds to extract the oil.

Wasabi is very hard to cultivate, and it's very expensive. Real wasabi can only be found in specialty gourmet stores (powdered or as a paste) and high end Japanese restaurants, even in Japan. Freshly grated wasabi completely loses its pungency and flavor within 15 minutes. The vast majority of wasabi is horseradish mixed with mustard, a little starch, and green food coloring.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Before and after...project is completed other then staining that small deck....
13592562_1299816413380051_5752105052836522461_n.jpg

new upper case window and storm door
siding is that new smartboard siding in 4x8 sheets....easy to install...
13575774_1299816416713384_3148980829711180499_o.jpg

and No more Dish Network.....back to cable.....!!

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Before and after...project is completed other then staining that small deck....
13592562_1299816413380051_5752105052836522461_n.jpg

new upper case window and storm door
siding is that new smartboard siding in 4x8 sheets....easy to install...
13575774_1299816416713384_3148980829711180499_o.jpg

and No more Dish Network.....back to cable.....!!
Home handyman! As soon as our contract is up the dish is hitting the trash!

Reactions: jujubeans

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
That hail sure did a number on the last of the cabbages...just picked them and cleaned them up..thinking cole slaw...or boiled cabbage with smoked sausage and potatoes and onions..

And that wind is so strong it was hard to stand up in the garden....durn weather!!!

Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Put up 3 more quarts of pickle two days ago...with the heat and the storms the weeds are taking over the garden...beyond picking but that weed eater sure makes mince meat of the weeds! Now I'm a pretty speckled green...:eek: