FYDA reimbursements for repairs to used trucks

piattteam

Active Expediter
Would like to hear from anyone who has purchased a used truck from FYDA Freightliner, Columbus, OH., and had repairs made, during the dealership warranty.
If so, what percentage of each repair bill was reimbursed.
No intention here to bad mouth FYDA, just need to know.
Thanks.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If the vehicle is under warranty, why would you pay a percentage?

piattteam

Active Expediter
davekc, we paid and EXPECTED reimbursement. Found out, yesterday, that THEY have discretion as to what is covered. Guess what, our stuff ($8000.00 worth) wasn't!

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Lawsuit. I have used fyda in the past for repairs and was never pleased with them.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
davekc, we paid and EXPECTED reimbursement. Found out, yesterday, that THEY have discretion as to what is covered. Guess what, our stuff ($8000.00 worth) wasn't!

$8,000.00? WOW! did you or anyone (other than FYDA) check out the truck? Correct me if i'm wrong it soundl like some of the stuff should have been obvious.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I'm not sure what your purchase agreement stated but if a warranty is at the sellers discretion, wouldn't that be the same as "no warranty"?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Spend $25 and join OOIDA. They may review your paperwork and give you some good advice.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I had a pm from a team that had a really bad experiance with FYDA. If they don't want to go public,I've got to respect their privacy.
If I make it to the Expo I know that I'd be telling the FYDA rep they sure are getting a bad reputation.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I would get a lawyer, $8000. in repairs in the first 30 days and none of it is covered? That's insane.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Fuzzy

Expert Expediter
My husband & I bought a brand new truck from them &a paid $135,000 for it & in the first 2&1/2 yrs were in the shop 50 times and then were told we needed a new.engine.for 23,000! Fyda did nothing to help us even though we called them. Even though it started out under warranty the down time killed us! We've owned trucks for yrs but this was the worst LEMON we ever got. We had to finally let the truck go back. and file bankruptcy.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
A lot of large T/T fleets are moving away from Freightliner because of downtime. The last truck I drove was a Cascadia with a DD13. It didn't have many issues, very quiet and a lot of storage but they were changing over to Internationals that seemed to have more issues and no storage.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I drove a new early production Cascadia. I was very disappointed. The dealer back pedaled and said they hadn't had time to PDI it.
I said then it shouldn't be on the front row.
I drove a long way to look at a used Argosy. Disappointed again.
I imagine they've built enough Cascadia's to get the bugs out.
I had a 2001 W Star built in Canada. Awesome truck. Then Damilier bought them and I never found one Frtlnr dealer I ever wanted to go back to. When I was shopping trucks I talked to FYDA.
Things just didn't feel good.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
My husband & I bought a brand new truck from them &a paid $135,000 for it & in the first 2&1/2 yrs were in the shop 50 times and then were told we needed a new.engine.for 23,000! Fyda did nothing to help us even though we called them. Even though it started out under warranty the down time killed us! We've owned trucks for yrs but this was the worst LEMON we ever got. We had to finally let the truck go back. and file bankruptcy.

That sucks, and is one heckuva statement. That alone scares the bajeezus out of the Puerto Rican and I. You can think you can cashflow nicely based on previous income levels, but go buy a new truck with a payment to go with, and downtime can literally destroy your business.

Think we'll keep driving ours until they stop making parts for it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
In 1991 bought a 92 FLD. It had a 3176 Cat that spent 104 days in Cat the first 12 months.
That's 2 days per week.
A new truck is no guarantee of success.
Two of the best trucks I ever owned were low mileage COE's from Werner. One Frtlnr,one Pete. The only bad Pete I ever bought was a brand new '88 model 377.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Years ago I bought a used Century "Select Truck" from Freightliner in Davenport, IA. 200,000 mile warranty. A lot of problems and nothing seemed to be covered. $93 an hour and the mechanic is walking around eating potato chips. Then I get the truck back and always find tools are missing. If I do jump into expediting I will just drive for someone.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My best friend's buddy buys a Select Truck.
He's having rear end problems. Takes the truck in. If they tear it apart and there's no problem he will have to pay the bill. He's so sure there's a problem that he says do it.
Once apart , they tell him they are barely in spec. No warranty repair. He says put it back together and I'll be back soon.
They then tell him if he re-assembles them in this poor condition they will not honor the warranty.
He turn the truck back in.
Two years later he's divorced,living in Alaska,working at WalMart.
It was a Select dealer that had just approved a guy at 25% APR.
I don't know how these dealers sleep at night.
Now back to FYDA....

piattteam

Active Expediter
I'll explain a bit.
Our 1st load, the idler pulley bolt broke. $650 or so tow (over $100 per mile!). About $750 repair.
Have spent about $2300 on A/C- that still doesn't work.
Our 3rd week, EGR cooler- $3600+.
Can't remember the rest.
Don't think any of it could have been foreseen.
Thanks for all the responses.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Are they deciding to pay anything ? If I remember right the EGR cooler was within the thirty day window .

piattteam

Active Expediter
They have agreed to "look at the A/C".
Yes, ALL the above were before the 30 max!!
Their response to the EGR- "That's part of being an owner operator"!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Part of being a successful O/O is learning who to do business with and who not to do business with.
Sorry your new adventure here is starting out on such a negative note.