Fuller 10 Question

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You have to flip the range selector up and move the stick through neutral and all the way back to the low hole...about 1 second. Pre-selecting the range before the shift could shave about ¹/¹º of a second off the 1 second average.

Seriously, when you say average speed, are you referring to road speed (mph) or engine speed (rpm)? I'd shift at the same rpm as for other gears (except coming out of 1st) or going down hill.

Lohnes

Active Expediter
Thanks for the response. And yes, I need to know what road speed (50 mph, 60 mph). I need the answer for a project I'm working on and need to know if a driver with that type of engine/truck was shifting from 5th to 6th speed, what average speed he would be in?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lohnes, I got your p.m. and replied. Sorry for yanking your chain a bit with my first post. Like I said it's been a long, long time since I ran a Fuller 10 speed and engine and rear axle ratio are two major variables. My best guess, on average would be 20-30 mph, probably closer to 20 mph. Anyone else?

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Just a guess as well , I would say 15 to 20 mph with a 3.73 rear end ratio. Reason I say that is, pretty sure your road speed needs to be 15 mph or lower to shift back into the low side of transmission

jimmy

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
try this link
Roadranger

go to the "tools you can use" and you get speeds for different ratio's

The shift points vary considerably depending on factors such as rear ratio, transmission ratio's, tire size and engine.

Present truck I shift to high range in the mid 30 mph range, but this truck has 3.36 rears so it is a little " long legged"