Fuel Surcharge

Sarkus

Expert Expediter
Does anyone know how a fuel surcharge is calculated? I mean the rate that companies pay drivers. I'm trying to figure out if there are any factors, such as weight, distance, freight zones, or is it just a flat rate?..........like x percent of the linehaul pay for a given load.

I've done some calculations with my statements and I can't make sense of how the fuel surcharges are calculated. Sometimes I get 4% of linehaul pay for a load, then sometimes 9%, 10%, and 14% for other loads. I don't get it. Can anybody explain?

Thanks,

Sarkus

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The formula is how little can the shipper get the carrier to accept. At my previous carrier we had a chart and it was anywhere from zero to 14% of the load charge for percentages and 0-15cpm for cpm customers. That was when fuel was around $1.75 so I'm sure it's gone up now. They freely shared the chart with us. Ask your carrier and you might get their fsc rate chart.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some are set tariff rates, some are contracted rates(rate is set at the beginning of a contract), some are set at the current national average for fuel, and lastly, some are set at a state by state rate.
Ask your carrier as to how they calculate it.
If they refuse or are very vague........don't assume anything.
You know what they say about that word assume.
Make sure they are not keeping a percentage of it themselves. They aren't paying for the fuel.
As Ronald Reagan said "trust but verify"
Davekc
owner
20 years

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
I hope you USA drivers call your Senators for that Fuel Surcharge bill. If you are paying the fuel bill. Then you should get 100 % of fuel surcharged paid.
Check it out on www.davenemo.com
or listen to Open Road 171 on XM Radio

||','''|''''''\__ ,___
| Trucker_Don | | | ||__|'__|___| |()))))))))))))))))
['''(@)'(@)"""''|(@)(@)

Catch me on the Road--or
-- on the Net
[email protected]