Fuel Milage for a 2007/2008 volvo class 8 670

Long Hauler 5T

Expert Expediter
I am trying to get an idea of what kind of MPG some of you are getting with the volvo class 8 tractors stretched and turned into 22/24' straight trucks. I would be looking at a 375-400hp volvo engine with a 10 speed standard trans. Standard factory bunk.
I realize that a lot has to do with driving style, speed, idling, etc.
just trying to get a ballpark figure.

Thanks, Doug

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
We use M-11 Cummins, coupled with 10 speed, HP 375 - 410. We don't have any new emissions equipment, and get 10 to 14 depending on which way the wind is blowing, and how heavy a load.

Long Hauler 5T

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the info on the MPG. I am number crunching to see if it is worthwhile to get into a 10 wheeler. I was a little conservative on my figures, at 7.5 mpg. It looks like 10 mpg is a closer average.

Doug

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Run your numbers with more like 8 and if you like the numbers then consider it. I'm not fortunate enough to have one of those miracle trucks that gets unbelievably good mpg and I'm a conservative driver. Run your numbers with expenses all higher than you expect and revenues lower than you expect. If you make money that way you should be good in the real world too.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Long Hauler 5T

Expert Expediter
Thanks Leo, I will take that under advisement. I dont think my numbers will support a new truck so I may be back to looking at a "good" used truck. They however are few and far between with all the concern about the new emissions. The ones that I have seen are not cheap enough to make it worth while to buy used.

Doug

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I own and operate a 2006 Volvo VNL with a Volvo VE-12 435 HP engine. The cab and chassis came new from Volvo. The truck was custom built from there into a straight truck (CR-unit). Price, vendor names, complete truck specs and comments can be viewed by clicking the "Truck Photo and Specs" link in my signature below.

Fuel economy short story: 9 MPG at 65 mph, 10 MPG 55 mph in favorable winds (no heavy headwind) and terrain (no mountains).

I share Leo's caution when it comes to estimating fuel economy on a truck that is not yet built. A seemingly endless host of variables apply. For projecting future profits and losses with an unknown class 8 straight truck, I would not recommend using a number above 8 mpg.

Back when we drove fleet owner trucks and moved from one truck to another, the new driver of the previous truck called us to ask what kind of fuel economy we got. We answered 9 mpg. He was getting 7.5 in the very same truck. The difference? His lead foot. Same truck, different drivers, major change in fuel economy numbers.

In another case, when we moved from one class 8 freightliner to another, we were shocked to see our fuel economy plumet to 6.5 mpg. The difference? The different makes of auto-shift transmissions used in the two trucks, and perhaps the rear axle ratio too. Same drivers, different drive train, major change in fuel economy numbers.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Doug we drive a VN780 with an ISX 500, 12 speed automated manual and 3:42 rears I can tell you from experience that as a highway truck you can't beat it.
The 12 speed does something the 10 never did and that was skip shift.
Our truck will start off in 3rd and be at top gear with 4 shifts whereas every 10 speed auto I have driven has to run each gear (we used to drive a 435 Mercedes 10 speed auto w/3:55 rears).
Avg fuel economy is above 9 mpg but Cyn and I move down the highway when we have to go meaning we don't do 55 in a 65 in the IL,OH and IN areas where 55 is the rule we have reached as high as 12 mpg using Lucas fuel additive and T/A fuel.
As mentioned driving habits and quality of fuel can make a difference in your fuel economy and no 2 trucks are the same but if you start with big ponies a smart transmission and tall gears you have something you can work with..

gojack

Expert Expediter
Tractor Trailer - 7.5 - 8.25 mpg
07 Volvo
Cummins ISX 475
Automated Freedomline 12 speed OD
3.22 rears
Super singles
lots of city driving,
Average 62 mph in Ohio 72 mph Ky

The biggest impact on my mpg is if I have to downshift,
dropping out of high gear kills my fuel economy...
that is caused by the combination of heavy loads & hills, or city traffic.

Running heavy Cincinnati to Louisville (rolling hills) is the worst mpg,
Cincinnati to Columbus (flat as a pancake) is best.

A big high torque engine can loaf along getting better mpg than a smaller engine that you have to downshift more.

lostandfound

Expert Expediter
in out T600 S/T with a C11 Cat eaton auto 10 we got right at 9 mpg on this trip out west to NM up thru the Mountains to Durango Co. then on to Denver via US 285 that was with 9,000 lbs in the box.i was impressed espesially with the winds out here i was running about 68 mph.