Fuel line broken

woodman5455

Expert Expediter
I have a re-manufactured ISC Cummins engine. It is only about 9 months old. About a month a I had a line brake just where it goes into the last injector closest to the windshield. It had about 35-45 thousand on the engine.

Now just 15,000 miles latter it broke again in the same place. I am sure I can get this covered under warranty again but this seems to be a problem. Sure glad this did not happen out in the boon docks.

Has anybody had this same problem? Never had this happen before but now twice this quick.

wheelsofurtune

Expert Expediter
The problems you mentioned are very common.
check to make sure you have all the harnesses that came frome the factory. Sometimes these dont make it back on the truck after it has been in the shop.
Hope this helps!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree. The broken line is recieving too much torque or is not be isolated from vibration.

Davekc

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
We got a reman ISB in Feb and within 2 months we had split a fuel line. Just like Dave says, the line was over torqued. Had all the little blue vibration dampeners, it was just 'a little bit' too short. Poor QC when it left the factory!

I just want to emphasize one thing - after all the ISB fuel pump problems we had last year, going straight to a Cummins dealer this year has been a whole lot better than rolling into Freightliner.

Best of luck to ya'!

woodman5455

Expert Expediter
Well just got the truck back from Freightliner. The line was covered under warranty but charged me because the isolators were not there to cut the vibration. Guess I have to go back to Cummins to see if they will cover this since they were not put back on the new engine.

Freightliner also charged me $126.00 for a fuel spill in there parking lot from where the line leaked fuel. Just does not seem right that I should have to pay for a fuel spill when the engine was not replaced properly and all the parts were not put back on it.

Thanks for all your help again guys!!!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Can you tell us which Freightliner dealer charged you for the leak.
I have a Cummins C and was constantly changing a rubber fuel line from the filter to the fuel pump. Cummins said this was the proper fuel line,one day my local F/Liner dealer called and said "this is not the right fuel line,it should be a metal line",they changed it and I havn't had any more problems. So the moral is???? who do we believe. x(

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One thing for sure, if they replaced the engine, I would dispute a fuel spill in which they were responsible.

Rich.
Rubber lines are ok but they will detoriate over a period of time.
The advise of aluminum flex-line is the correct call.

Davekc

woodman5455

Expert Expediter
The Freightliner dealer was Freightliner of Portland OR. I had the engine replaced by Cummins in Pittsburgh PA in March. I will contact them this week and see what they can do for me.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Were you the one who had the engine ruined by the school bus repair company. If you care to tell us how did that turn out for you??

woodman5455

Expert Expediter
Yes I am the one who had the engine blown up. I have given an lawyer in PA $3,000 to go to court for me but so far we have not gotten there yet. Starting to think that he just took my money. I will keep you all posted on what happens