Fuel Island Desk C lerks

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Pilot requires that you bring a DL in and they hold it while you fuel. (I just sent them a Customer Survey Card) You guessed it discovered 100 miles away I have no DL. I fueled at the same location one week to the day earlier, same girl, same disorginizied attitude I am busier with other things to pay attetnion to details (like giving you your ID back) and yes I take some of the blame here, got a shower when I paid and dumb me and dumb her left my ID there.

Wilco, Flying J and some others do not require it but they do.

So whats my point other than telling you how dumb I can be, not really dumb just to many items going thru this mind at once. Do not forget to get your ID back, I am having them fax me a copy of DL and mailing the original back home. Maybee this is just a lesson we all must expierence ONCE. But I am sure ticked off that they can have a policy like this and not return your ID when you hand over a couple of hundred in cash.

Last week she was discussing with two other co-workers how terrible her day care was for her child. This week I did not and did not care to hear what the conversation was. I just remember she did not say a single word to me but never shut up about everything else in her life.

I hate being rude but for business sake, for now on I am going to speak up and tell employees to pay attention to the customers, who are there making purchases and there jobs a reality. In H.S. I worked for Dayton Hudson, and the first thing they tought us was always pay attetnion to the customer with $ and purchase in there hand. The world has forgotten this. Let us screw up like this and whats the consequences for Expeditors????????

I called my credit card company to see about a dummy card and they simply told me do not worry about it we will accept all liability for you if there are any authorizations to the card like someone swipping the magnetic stip and using it for purchases. So much for trying to protect them. Guess I can go back to using a credit card instead of cash.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I have a big problem with that type of truck stop ... IE Pilots and Loves. It seems to me that they are in a big hurry to get your money and pass you through whith as little effort as possible. They seem to be understaffed and their employees seem to be underpaid and uninterested. There is always a line for showers. In fact I've waited for 30 minutes before they even started to clean some up while 5 or 6 drivers were waiting. Still I do like some of them. I especially like to use the pilot in Dexter MI and the Loves in Corbin KY.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like a bad thing and sorry it happened to you. I do want to ask though, why do they require a DL? I have never once, no matter where I fuel but I do mainly fuel at Pilot and LOves, had to give anyone a DL. How do you pay that this becomes an issue?

The only time I have ever had to do anything odd was to give my MC # and then sign for tax purposes.

Just wondering since I have never had any stop ask for a DL when fueling.

Raceman
OTR O/O

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have developed a habit I will share.Maybe it will work for you.

Any time a card comes out of my wallet,my wallet remains in my hand untill that card goes back in that wallet.

There are often a lot of distractions that go on at that fuel desk.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Byron GA or Perry GA, its a twenty or so walk up a flight of stairs to the fuel desk. Thus to go up there give a DL walk back down go to your tanks, unlock them, put in fuel two tanks, check oil, clean glass etc..
Pull truck forward (I like to be helpfull for the next driver) in this case I pulled into a parking spot, grabbed my duffle bag, paid and got a shower key. This was my mistake, broke my normal procdure of just paying.

So I will admit I have got to come up with a new routine, I carry a credit card holder with all of my fuel discount or special privledge cards and forgot it when I got my duffle bag, and also people are hosing down trucks now so the fuel islands are slippery and my feet are dirty do not want to walk into sleeper my fault again for not planning before I FIRST got out of the truck.

Whats amazing think about it all of the procdures we must go thru just to put fuel in.

Pull in
Pull up to fuel island
Call in or go in
Put surgical gloves on both hands
Remove fuel caps (2)
Put in fuel both tanks
Clean Windows
Check Oil
Put in Fuel additative if you do
Top off Fuel
Put both caps back on
Wipe spills off tanks if you were not lucky enough (getting better) and its warmer
Restart truck pull forward
Get $ or Card
Get hub reading
Get log book out to record purchase
Go pay and restroom run
Start truck again pull away to safe spot
Enter into logs and fuel reciepts and do not even loose one if you pay cash.
Pull away and check all dash guages.

No wonder I have lost a set of keys and.....Not that I am telling those of you with expierence anything but to you all thinking of this. And by the way stand in line about 5-6 deep twice.

Any wonder we are absent minded at times and we are doing this for how much???? Ever been Lost.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Another issue - more serious - comes to mind when reading your post. Our friends in governmsnt - this time the ones that write the CDL regs - have changed the CDL rules. Quoting the Summer 2002 Transportation Quartly:

"The rule expands the list of serious traffic violations to include: (1) Driving a CMV when the driver has not obtained a CDL, (2) driving a CMV without a CDL in the driver's possession, and (3) driving a CMV without having met the minimum testing standards for the specific class of CMV being operated or for the type of cargo being transported on the vehicle."

The list of "serious violations" also includes things like excessive speeding and reckless driving. The term "serious violations" has special meaning to regulators, carriers, insurance companies, and enforcement officials. A "serious violation" is a real attention getter on one's driving record. Best to avoid them if you can.

It's a shame that the simple mistake of leaving one's CDL at a fuel desk (could happen to anyone) or losing your wallet with your CDL in it could become a major problem at the next scale stop, but such are the times we live in.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
All is not lost, a long time a I made a copy of all of my IDs and credit cards just in case I lost them or they got stollen.

The copy Pilot sent me was not clear, but my wife looked in the file I made and there it was a nice clear copy that she faxed to me front and back. Picture is a little iffy but I have my Voter Registration and Original Birth Certificate in the truck with me so I can prove who I am and with the fax comming from home with the #s and my business card that has that number on it should be proof enough.

Thank you A Team, I am confident that I have enough ID to cover my rear. Many laws are written such as its against the law to hire illegals but whens the last time someone has been prosicuted other than big ole Walmart and they were more in trouble for paying less than minium wage than hirring the illegals.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Let me ask again. Why does any fuel desk need your CDL? I have never taken my CDL out anywhere near a fuel stop. Why does the CDL come into buying fuel

Raceman
OTR O/O

barney

Expert Expediter
They don't really need a CDL but they think it is a form of security. ie: you won't drive off without paying if they have your CDL

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if i have to pay first or leave id i don't stop at those places
but we have to have pay a price for the ones that do
and agree some of them are not happy about there job so they should find something they like

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
Stopped at the Flying J in Indiana (I-70 @ the 123mm) yesterday. Got may gas, (I always pay at the pump). Pulled up to a parking space in front of the building and went in for may restroom break and to get a bottle of pop and a snack.

When I went up to pay, there was no less then 20 people in line. It wouldn't have been as bad as it was, if they (flying J) had opened up one more register. The two ladies at the fuel desk were taking care of everything. More then half of the people in line where from the gas island, and were either there to prepay or buying snacks.

Between taking calls from the fuel island, getting chicken livers for a driver, taking care of ComData checks, anwsering the CAT scale intercom, ...well, it was a circus. I was having a good time with it, but most people in line were not happy at all.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Ok I am still lost. I did see Gas mentioned above and maybe that has something to with it but then again I know BroomPilot uses fuel.

Why do you have to give a DL or CDL to a fuel desk? I have never in my life had to do this and I fuel at PILOT on a regular basis. I fuel at other Truck stops as well. Never has anyone asked me for my CDL.

I am sorry but I am lost in this entire story because I can not figure this out. Are you paying with a personal check or something?

Raceman
OTR O/O

rollingstock

Expert Expediter
What scares me the most about the scenario you have described is that you have been required to place personal identifying information into the hands of someone that you do not know. That person might not have any criminal intent with your ID, or maybe he/she does. I just don't like that. If it turn out that someone steals your identity and causes havoc with your credit etc., where will the Fying hook be?

I have a big problem with it.:(

miko

Expert Expediter
I don't like Pilot in the first place. Personal has always bad attitude, doesn't great, doesn't involve customer in a conversation, nothing. Instead they are snotty and stupid for the most part.
I stopped at one some time ago, me and my wife hit the restrooms and grap a hot dog. Not only took it ages to get that damn food wrapped because all wrappers and stuff are out, attendant is slow to refill and so on, and at the register, when the food is already cold, the clerk lets us know in a very unfreindly manner that we have to take another frickin' hot dog for the price advertised...:+ Needless to say, my wife got a little short tempered there and almost jumped the counter...

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Stopped at the J in Beaver Dam OH before I had my courtesy card and was required to leave my credit card at the desk while I fueled. When I got my statement I found a charge for 3 meals ( large & expensive) on my credit card. Called and complained and found that a Flying J employee had used my number in the resturaunt. Didn't think I'd catch it I guess. Anyway they lost their job and now you have to pry the credit card from my hands.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Someone made a reply that he always keeps his wallet in his hand until his credit card is returned. If that is not possible, stuff your wallet in another pocket, such as your front pocket. Then you will knew something is different and it will jog your memory that a DL or card is out of place.

:+ :+