Fuel gauge inconsistent.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
The fuel gauge is inconsistent reading empty on occasion then reading accurately, then inaccurate but showing fuel then back to empty. Any suggestions? 2006 FTL BM2

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine becomes fairly useless around 1/4 tank. It will read fine and then the red light is on and it shows empty. Shortly after it will go back to around 1/4. It also isn't accurate at full. It will read over 7/8 but not totally full. If I fill it to the filler neck because I'm about to drive on and will burn it off it's even worse. Then it shows maybe 3/4 and becomes fairly accurate when I get 150 or so miles down the road.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It could be the electrical connection that is on top of your fuel tank, but the most likely cause is a sticking sending unit. That is the float assembly that drops into the tank. Should be less than a $100 to fix it if it is the sending unit.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
A lot of times there is contacts on th sending unit.As the float moves up or down the contacts touch and it changes the amount of resistance and this gives a signal to tell the gauge where to read.Most of time you can take the sender out and take a rubber eraser and clean the contacts and this will fix it.I have done this alot on cars.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine is apparently a "feature" on Sterlings just like the pull to the right and the pogo stick driver air seat. Both the '05 and '06 models came from the factory with these "features".

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
learned many years ago to never trust a fuel gage keep track of your mileage and get one of them fuel sticks they give away at the truck shows and use it once in a while. Winter is here and don't learn the hard way that you are out of fuel like I did (blizzard of 78 in Ohio).