fuel filter change

astikhossw

Seasoned Expediter
A mech. told me the other day that engines with dpf,when changing the fuel filter should not have the fuel filter filled with diesel and then installed,it should be installed empty and then primed using secondary filter priming valve.He told me that when a place like speedco or T/A change there filters the diesel that they use has to many contaminants and the filter only strain out the larger microns and not the smaller ones due to them pouring the fuel directly into the filter so what happens is the smaller particles end up in the ejectors causing them to become semi clogged.Has anyone heard of this before and are you having yor fuel filter changed like this.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
My thoughts:

- Not every engine has a secondary priming pump to prime (fill) the fuel filter as you describe.

- Given the direction of fuel flow through the filter, if the fuel filter is filled before installing it, that first bit of fuel would not be filtered at all, would it? Yet that is the conventional way of installing filters.

- Your mechanic friend is right in that using the pump to prime the filter would insure that all fuel passes through the filter before moving on but good luck getting people to do that for you when you get your filters changed.

- A friend of mine drove a DEF truck for a year. No one mentioned or did the technique your mechanic described. It may be a good idea but it will take a lot of re-thinking on the part of a lot of people to adopt it industry-wide.

- Your post makes me wonder where do dealerships, truck stop shops and Speedco's of the world get the fuel they use to fill the fuel filters and how is such fuel filtered before it goes into your new truck fuel filter?

- As universal as the conventional filter filling practice is, ans as few problems as have been reported, I don't know that I would make an issue of it with the guy that is servicing my truck. Our truck is not DEF but does have a priming pump on it. No problems have developed, even though our service people have filled new fuel filters before installing them.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just put it in dry, let the "electric" lift pump put fuel in it and then try starting it.

IF you have a bleeder screw on the filter top, then loosen that up when the pump is working and it will let the air out.

The engine will stumble once started but after a few seconds, it should smooth out and run as normal.