fuel card- advances

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
I can only put an advance on my fuel card once I'm dispatched a load so I can pay for fuel, but how does that work if I'm driving for a contractor and NOT paying for fuel out of my agreement? The contractor pays for fuel, I do not. But I know my % comes from the total amount (obviously).

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can only put an advance on my fuel card once I'm dispatched a load so I can pay for fuel, but how does that work if I'm driving for a contractor and NOT paying for fuel out of my agreement? The contractor pays for fuel, I do not. But I know my % comes from the total amount (obviously).
intransit...I read your Post twice. I'm thinking you answered your question.
So...you'll just receive your percentage of the Load Pay, minus the Fuel.
When I began driving a Sprinter for an Owner the Contract I signed and agreed to was a 60/40 Split with me receiving the Fuel $, the 60%...but I found I had to pay for any extra fuel cost. We made out closer to equal in the long run...but of course he had to pay all maintenance.
I wish I could answer your question better.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Normally the side paying for fuel gets 100% of the fsc as a separate part of the pay so your part would not be based on the total if you were not paying for fuel. It should all be spelled out in your contract though.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

If you dont pay for fuel its simple, you get your % of the line haul pay with nothing taken out of it !!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First thing you need to do is get the terminology straight. While the truck's owner is indeed a contractor, so are you. Better to refer to the truck owner as the "fleet owner" and you as the "driver."

Also, is the card an actual fuel card, or is it a Comdata card that you just so happen to use for fuel?

Now that that's out of the way, the only advances you will be able to get on the card are the ones the fleet owner has authorized you to get. Since the fleet owner pays for fuel, there's really no reason to give you an advance for fuel money. At least on the surface of it. If you buy fuel on the fuel card and then that gets deducted from your settlement with the fleet owner, then the fleet owner will likely authorize you to get whatever advances you like. You should check with the fleet owner.

Reactions: neilblack

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Normally the side paying for fuel gets 100% of the fsc as a separate part of the pay so your part would not be based on the total if you were not paying for fuel. It should all be spelled out in your contract though.
The FSC can be tricky... some carriers are paying more than others for FSC, reducing the pay per loaded mile. Being with multiple carriers, I've seen the difference. Carrier X gives you a 500 miles run, they pay $350 per loaded miles, $150 FSC. Carrier Y gives you the same 500 miles run, but they pay $420 per loaded miles and $80 FSC. So, if you as an owner, get 40% out of the loaded miles pay, if that truck runs 1500 miles in a week, you'll get $420 for that week. You have a 750 to 1000 payment on that truck, then the insurance, then the maintenance, then the carrier's charges, and let me know where's your profit?

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Depends on the fleet owner,some would let you draw the same way you do now,and then reimburse you for the fuel cost. Others would have you use the advances just for fuel,and pay you say every Friday. Others may give you a credit card for fuel and let you draw your pay every run. I think others misunderstood your question.

Reactions: Turtle

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
The FSC can be tricky... some carriers are paying more than others for FSC, reducing the pay per loaded mile. Being with multiple carriers, I've seen the difference. Carrier X gives you a 500 miles run, they pay $350 per loaded miles, $150 FSC. Carrier Y gives you the same 500 miles run, but they pay $420 per loaded miles and $80 FSC.

Where are you seeing these FSC numbers? Even your your worst example from above is better the I have seen at this carrier.. Looking back (real quick) 3 months the best I have seen on my profile sheets is one 497 mile run with a $32.00 FSC.. This isn't taking into account the miles that are peeled off the profile..
Are your numbers fairly accurate or did you just use those numbers as a example?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where are you seeing these FSC numbers? Even your your worst example from above is better the I have seen at this carrier.. Looking back (real quick) 3 months the best I have seen on my profile sheets is one 497 mile run with a $32.00 FSC.. This isn't taking into account the miles that are peeled off the profile..
Are your numbers fairly accurate or did you just use those numbers as a example?

These are the numbers (generated by the carrier).
FSC.jpg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And as a bonus the Abilene run delivered just around the corner from Big Boys BBQ in Sweetwater that has the best bun to ever hold bbq.