Frozen locks

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The round locks are prone to holding water, which makes them tough to open when frozen. Wilson to the rescue! Just cut a slice in a tennis ball, it slips over the lock and keeps the water out.
Plus, it looks a bit silly, and I like that too. ;)

Attachments

• tennis ball lock cover.jpg
    tennis ball lock cover.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 67

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Great idea. Mine has frozen twice this year. Had to pour hot water in it to get it open. The only time I've ever used my wife's Keurig.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
Mine froze this last round of cold. Used alcohol to unstick then sprayed with motorkote and haven't had anymore problems.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The round locks are prone to holding water, which makes them tough to open when frozen. Wilson to the rescue! Just cut a slice in a tennis ball, it slips over the lock and keeps the water out.
Plus, it looks a bit silly, and I like that too. ;)

Looks a little silly. If it works, all's good.

My first thought, " that takes balls."

Last edited:

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For those of us who never thought of using "Wilson", the following has always been my advise.
Locks load up with road salt/chemicals. Have two locks keyed alike. After a time of running in freezing stuff. Take the exposed lock off, put spare on. Then immerse the loaded lock in really hot water for a few minutes. hang it up in a warm dry area. Squirt a little lubricant in the lock and you have a ready spare. I bought a lot of locks before I discovered this.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Redy, how do you get two locks keyed alike?
I've always kept a spare lock too, but I just match each lock & it's key with some bright nail polish, which comes in a gazillion colors for 99 cents each.
I used the same idea when I needed to hide a spare key and had nowhere to put it out of sight: painted a bunch of keys [throwaways from the lock place] and twist tied them to a wreath on the door - only I knew which key opened the door. ;)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
how do you get two locks keyed alike?
Any locksmith can do it.

I've always kept a spare lock too, but I just match each lock & it's key with some bright nail polish, which comes in a gazillion colors for 99 cents each.
I used the same idea when I needed to hide a spare key and had nowhere to put it out of sight: painted a bunch of keys [throwaways from the lock place] and twist tied them to a wreath on the door - only I knew which key opened the door. ;)
Good idea

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think Home Depot sells matched sets of locks and can also rekey any locks you purchase to use the same key.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I just buy six keyed alike locks from a locksmith. Everywhere I have a padlock it's the same key.
Somebody needs to get in my storage unit, I mail them a key. Mail it back when you're done.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Last year this happened to my up in Grand Isle, but I used a Charcoal starter Lighter, one of the larger lighters to unfreeze it, after that I was sure to spray on a heavy coat of Lubricant, WD-40 etc .....after wrassling the lock off my door, MY DOORS WERE FROZEN SHUT....It was like 40 below...I also bought a second lock and did the swap quite often, adding WD-40 and Graphite...