Frozen Locks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter
Just a little story and tip for "us" "newbies",

The other day I had the pleasure of driving through some of the beautiful winter weather that the north east has to offer. Yup, freezing rain. I had picked up a load at 1800 that would drop the next morning at 0600. I put a paddle lock on my door at the shipper so I could feel a little more secure about the rest, or lack there of, that I would get for the night at the truck stop I stayed at. Low and behold I awoke in the morning to find the paddle lock coated with ice. HMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!x( . It was about -10 outside, with a wind chill of about -23.......brrrrrrr. I proceeded to try to melt the ice off of the lock with my mini-bic lighter for the next few minutes, to no avail, darn wind kept blowing it out! I guess a zippo might have been more appropriate? After asking the consignee for a torch, again to no avail, I returned to the warmth of my toasty cab of my truck, wondering what am I going to do now? NEWSFLASH! I have a microwave and water in my truck, along with a microwavable bowl to heat water in. I filled the bowl with water, set the timer on the micro to 4 mins. and shaazam, an instant ice melter. I proceeded to pour the HOT water over the lock and quickly melted the ice.
Just a word of caution, I can not, and will not be held responsible for any burns incurred in the process. I walked away unscathed, and feeling as brilliant as I thought I looked.:p

Just an idea, take it for what you will.
Hope it's helpful.

"I'm not much, but I'm all that they've got"

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For those of us fortunate enough to have large inverters this works great.I use my coffee pot after a few min of heating the water the pour spout directs the water right where I want it.I also keep two locks(keyed alike).Because the tumblers can load up with road salt,I soak one in really hot water and hang it up to dry while still really hot.A little shot or oil and it is ready to go back in service.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Redytrk, I like your idea on the two locks.

What do you do if you're frozen out of your truck? I carry one of those tiny lock de-icers. Tis the season for a zippo too :D

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
One time some years ago Marda and I found ourselves in a similar situation -- and we used a similar solution -- boiling water!
Afterward I kept that lock inside the cab several hours, completely thawed it out, and thoroughly hosed down the innards with lubricant.
A long-time master locksmith once tipped me off about what type of lubricant to use on locks.
He recommended LiquidWrench spray lubricant with Teflon.
Since then I've consistently used that product.
After I put a truck through a wash, I use the same stuff on the padlocks and the locks on the cab and the toolboxes -- to displace the water from the high-pressure nozzles.
Best wishes to all,
Doc.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I walked
>away unscathed, and feeling as brilliant as I thought I
>looked.:p

As well you should! That's using the ol' noodle!

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Heres one for you, Frozen windshield wipers. Back in 2000 0r 2001 there was a Blizzard came through upper mid west. I was a newbie then and caught in a truck stop in Janesville,WI. Trucks were freezing up on the roads and police were bringing Drivers to the truck stop for warmth and help. I had to Idle my truck for 3 days before we could leave. When i got ready to leave, I had no wipers. Took a look and dicovered that I had run the defrosters all this time. It melted all the snow off windshield, right down into the wiper control area. Solid ice pack. I tried Hot water, Went inside and bought 4 salt shakers,Used Rainx deicer. Took screw driver and chopped all I could. Still no wipers. The roads were dry and I had to go. About 30 miles down the road they broke loose. So if you are ever setting out snow or ice storm, make sure you leave wipers on interval, and defrosters OFF. Drive Safely...Butch:D :D :D

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I saw a post recommending propane convection heaters for warming cargo vans while sleeping . They use the 16 oz. propane bottles and might work thawing out a lock . I didn't find one adequate for warming a truck while sleeping though . the problem is the instructions recommend at least 6 sq. in. of ventilation if using in an enclosed space . Crack a window just a little and you get more cold are in than hot air from the heater . My major problem in ice storms is the doors freezing if the truck is left unattended overnight . I once had the truck home and used my wife's hairdryer for 45 minutes to remove ice around the doors . That would have been a real problem on the road .

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
I remember having to use ether on a door. We had rain one day and a flash freeze the next. I was staying in a hotel. I got up next day to find door lock, frozen solid. I sprayed ether in lock and stuck matches in the key hole. I had a nice blue fire coming from lock. In about a minute or two, I was inside starting the Coach

||','''|''''''\__ ,___
| Trucker_Don | | | ||__|'__|___| |()))))))))))))))))
['''(@)'(@)"""''|(@)(@)

Catch me on the Road--or
-- on the Net
[email protected]