Front mounted generator and extended fuel tank on van?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Thinking about installing a trailer hitch to the frame on the front of the van to attach a small platform to. And on that mount a generator and external fuel tank.

Adding the external fuel tank is pretty simple to do:

I'm not exactly sure how id do it but im sure there's a way to secure the generator to one side of the platform and the fuel tank to the other. Have the exhaust be facing the opposite direction of tank.

Smaller generator 3000w max just need power to ac/heat and battery charger.

Is this safe to do???????

If not, what about on the back with one of those swing out mounts???? Front would be better and since promaster is FWD would help traction a little too. Downside is deer I guess.

I dont like the generator cutting the a.c. out in the middle of sleeping and having to refill every 12 hours!

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd look for a crafty way to secure a generator underneath, if possible. Run a fuel line from the fuel tank, just like an espar install.
Idk ... I don't like the thought of having stuff hanging off the front or rear of my van. If you do choose to have fuel can out there, I'd make sure it's metal. Any type of front end impact is sure gonna be different with a few gallons of fuel sitting right in front of you.

Off topic .... didn't you move into a straight truck?

Reactions: dc843

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I'd look for a crafty way to secure a generator underneath, if possible. Run a fuel line from the fuel tank, just like an espar install.
Idk ... I don't like the thought of having stuff hanging off the front or rear of my van. If you do choose to have fuel can out there, I'd make sure it's metal. Any type of front end impact is sure gonna be different with a few gallons of fuel sitting right in front of you.

Off topic .... didn't you move into a straight truck?
That's something to consider but doesn't seem like it will be easy. That would be great it would be like an apu. I was thinking I could just fill the external tank when I was sitting and if I get a load just pour it into the main tank so I'm not driving around with it up front. I'm only talking like a 2 or 3 gallon tank nothing crazy.

Yeah I did. I may get back into them in the future but for now I like the van better. Easier to get into as owner. I can go to the gym and stay in shape. That's not easy in a straight truck. I sleep in a stationary bed. No DOT bs to ddeal with. And on top of all of that I was making barely more per week so all the extra headache wasn't transferring to my pockets.

Edit: may just keep the extra tank inside the van and hook up to generator when parked

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That doesn't sound like a smart thing to do. Even empty, fumes will be present.

Hmm, not really. I keep a 5 gal can stored in the tail end of my Sprinter, right after the wheel well. It's never near full. Sealed tight, it's fine.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Hmm, not really. I keep a 5 gal can stored in the tail end of my Sprinter, right after the wheel well. It's never near full. Sealed tight, it's fine.
Is that used for a generator or just emergency fuel?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Apples and oranges....... i stand by my comment. Gasoline can inside a van could be dangerous.
What would you recommend for the safest way to extend a generators fuel past the half a gallon tank they come with?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is that used for a generator or just emergency fuel?

Purchased with the intent of being used as emergency fuel. But that was when I handled about 6-8 Canadian loads a year. Places like BC, SK, AB etc .. didn't happen often, but they happened. I bought it early on.
Now practically all it's used for is to fill new fuel filters. They need to be changed every 10K with the motor oil service.

• Haha
Reactions: brokcanadian

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Purchased with the intent of being used as emergency fuel. But that was when I handled about 6-8 Canadian loads a year. Places like BC, SK, AB etc .. didn't happen often, but they happened. I bought it early on.
Now practically all it's used for is to fill new fuel filters. They need to be changed every 10K with the motor oil service.
I was thinking I could get a small flat and wide gas tank that would be mountable to the bottom back of underneath the van, as long as it's done properly, I dont see how that would be anymore risky than the fuel tank already mounted underneath. Mounted on a hitch where it can easily strike something I totally understand not advising.

I would have 2 sets of gas caps for it, one connected to the suction tubing connected to the generators lid airtight for when I'm stopped, and two normal ones for when I'm on the move.

What do you think?

Care will be put into it to make sure it's not going to be punctured by a floor screw or anything.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The only hing I know for sure is, depending on the generator you get, you'll have to change the oil every 100-150 hours. I'd mount it with that fact in mind.

Reactions: dc843 and Grizzly

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
The only hing I know for sure is, depending on the generator you get, you'll have to change the oil every 100-150 hours. I'd mount it with that fact in mind.
What I'm leaning toward is swing mount generator on back, extra connecting fuel tank under frame of back, outlet connector plug for running 120v and 30v (I think) plug for the a.c mounted in front of brake lights on side of van.

When running the generator, I get out and connect the plugs and the fuel line.

I think it sounds like a good plan.

Reactions: Turtle

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whatever you decide; keep in mind, I'm still alive off a fantastic fan and 2 deep cycles. Georgia was not fun tho, heat + humid

I'm fantasizing again too, $100 coupon off a brand new honda 2000...i'll probably put it off again.

Hey Grizzly can I buy your used filters? :laughing: I run mine 60,000 except when I go longer...

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Whatever you decide; keep in mind, I'm still alive off a fantastic fan and 2 deep cycles. Georgia was not fun tho, heat + humid

I'm fantasizing again too, $100 coupon off a brand new honda 2000...i'll probably put it off again.

Hey Grizzly can I buy your used filters? :laughing: I run mine 60,000 except when I go longer...
Let me know how that fan works when you get a run to Laredo in July! Lol

I'm going to do the fan and battery thing as well as long as it's 55 to 80 I can probably get by with it. Well see.

They also have this new "portable" a.c. unit called zerobreeze. 1100 btus, 150w, so it's not the most powerful but you can run it without a generator and may do the trick if it's just a little too hot though.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Fantastic" 200 mph fan only, not any fan. And I cut a hole in the door wind blowing across my bunk for it and rolled the windows down.

I've looked at the zerobreeze, might work if you make a "tent" over you with a sleeping bag. Otherwise the portable stand up unit with the in and out tubing (portable room a/c) and the honda gen is van friendly without cutting holes

Reactions: dc843

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
"Fantastic" 200 mph fan only, not any fan. And I cut a hole in the door wind blowing across my bunk for it and rolled the windows down.

I've looked at the zerobreeze, might work if you make a "tent" over you with a sleeping bag. Otherwise the portable stand up unit with the in and out tubing (portable room a/c) and the honda gen is van friendly without cutting holes
I'm familiar I used to be in a van that had one not sure if it was a different model or not though. With that and another fan on my face I was usually good up to like 78 degrees. But I can't rough it past that. Especially sleeping, I like it cooler.

Yeah, as long as it's not really hot, I was thinking you would be good if you had a set sleeper that was super super insulated and blocked off and insulated from the front, and you had it so the cold air was blowing directly on you, it might do. You gotta run an exhaust hose with those outside just like the regular portable a.c. units to get the best effect.

But that's iffy, I'm just going to spend the money to get a rooftop mounted ac and heat unit. They actually aren't that much. The Honda gen would cost more. Although I'm not quite sold on the Honda when there's other reputable brands with similar generators for half the money. Got time to research though.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I
Don't buy an All-Power, mine lasted 1 hour and bent a pushrod :dead:
Damn. Wont get that one. I like the champion 2000w one. Is small enough i may be able to just mount it underneath as well. I used to have their larger 4000w one and i remember it lasting and running well even when i wasnt the best at changing the oil on time.