From dispatcher to driver?...

Migaux

Expert Expediter
I'm a dispatcher for a really great expedited carrier. I've been here for a few years, and it's one of the best jobs I've ever had. Lately, though, I've been thinking about a career change. I envy these drivers I work with everyday. As a dispatcher I see how much money a driver has the potential to make. I told a driver "you're pretty lucky. I don't get to smoke at my desk, or listen to my radio as loud as I want to. I don't get payroll advances through a comdata card. I don't get to decided which "assignments" i want to accept or turn down, and worst of all, the view outside my office window never changes."

I've been thinking a lot about becoming a driver. I'm not married, and I'm at a point in my life where I'm looking for something different. I think I would love to drive; see this country. I need some information, though.

I've been researching companies that provide CDL training. I've gotten info from Schneider National, and from CR England. Both offer sending you to their own training program and then you work for them. during training England was offering $400/wk, Schneider $500 per week and/or loaded miles x rate per mile, whichever was higher.
England is in Utah, Schneider is closer to home in Green Bay, but has
a location Chicago, too. So far, Schneider is in the lead, but I need to keep looking. My question is, what else is out there? I need suggestions and stats.
What company, which offers their own CDL training, is offering what?:
Rate per week during training?
Rate per mile?
Is it an expedite company or a backhaul co?
How often will I get home?
What am i not asking? what should i be asking?
Drivers, what company are you happy with? Lemme know...
thanks,
-Migaux

Migaux

Expert Expediter
Also, about being a driver in general...
What are the TOP 5 things everyone needs in their truck to survive being out there... by yourself... between loads? What do you do?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Your post begs the question: You now work for a great carrier but you didnt mention them as a posibility for a driver career; could it be they are great for the office help but not the drivers?

Five things that could help you cope with the expedite style wait periods:

patience...books...TV...cell phone with lots of minutes...patience

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
I agree with terryandrene, patience is invaluable. But....What should you be asking? I would be asking what kind of contract you will be required to fulfill during the repayment period for them putting you through school. Many Tractor Trailer drivers refer to this period as indentured servitude. Get everything in writing and read everything that you sign. How much home time do you want, or will you get during this time? Companies that provide training make sure that they get their money's worth. Most of these companies are on the up and up, but beware of bad apples.

Migaux

Expert Expediter
The carrier I work for is great, for dispatchers and drivers. the reason i didn't memtion them is because they don't hire inexperienced drivers or provide CDL training. That's all.

NoProblem

Expert Expediter
Don't forget, "the grass is always greener....." - it just might apply in this instance.

I assume you're looking to get a CDL class "A" so that you can drive a semi with a 53' trailer. If so, forget the $$$ they pay during training and look at the starting $$ per mile, insurance package, year/type of truck you'll be driving (plan on driving an old p.o.s. that no one else wants) - some companys, like Schneider, often stick newbies in cab-overs (yuk) - but make empty promises of putting you behnd the wheel of a real nice newer clean truck - if it happens then you did good but - DO NOT BELIEVE THEM.

The length of training varies from co. to co. but plan on being broke for the entire time you are training (6 to 12 weeks) until AT LEAST a few weeks after you officially go solo - no matter which carrier you end up with. Training pay varies alot, plan on $50/day once you graduate and start with a trainer. I am not aware of anyone who pays you while you are in their school.

Most big carriers have a 2 to 6 week training period after you graduate school. Thats where you drive with a trainer prior to going solo - plan on waiting weeks (if not months) for a trainer to be available for you. Good for you if ya get one sooner - but DON'T PLAN ON THAT.

DO NOT base your choice of carriers on the location of your home, ALL the big carriers let you take your truck home on your days off anyway.

Base your choice of carriers on the thing that is most important to you. I assume $$$ is most important so look for the best pay rate for newbies. Then look for the best insurance plans, retirement etc. Again, do not base your choice on their location.

All big cariers offer training for free, then expect you to remain strictly with them for the next full year or they'll sue - I have known at least 6 drivers who quit before their 1 year was up and they never got sued - so you'll have to test those waters on your own.

The carriers you are mentioning are not expedite, they are "Truckload carriers" that offer OTR, Regional, some dedicated and local runs - PLAN ON OTR because thats what they all need.

You should be able to get home at least 4 or 5 days a month -that'll depend alot on you. Your dispatcher(s) will need to be made to understand the importance of YOUR home time - or PLAN TO BE OUT MONTHS AT A TIME.

Also, beware that as a company driver, you are, as far as I know, under "forced dispatch" and unless you are out of hours, too tired, extremely bad weather or broke down, you are expected to take every load they send you - no matter how bad the load.

As far as I know, SWIFT used to offer the best pay/benefit package for newbies, probably still do.

What you are not asking is a matter of personal preference and only my opinion but maybe try to find out about:
1)Detention Pay. When does it begin, how much, whats the max?
2)Driver Unload Pay
3)Dead Head Pay
4)Additional Stop Pay
5)Local Pay
6)What mile system do they use? "Home mover" will jip you out of AT LEAST 20% whereas "Rand Mcnally" might only jip you out of 10% of EVERY MILE you actually run.

What are the TOP 5 things everyone needs in their truck to survive being out there... by yourself... between loads? What do you do?

You can answer this yourself once you can envision yourself stuck in the middle of Jersy for the whole weekend, no where to go with that giant truck except perhaps a truck stop that hopefully still has room "for one more" - and has free parking.

You'll be stuck in a 6x8 box all alone for the weekend, maybe cold and snowy/rainy/foggy - even a TV w/video games loses its appeal in a short time. A lap top is nice - you'll need at least a 300 watt inverter, thats for sure.

Hope this helps without sounding too negative. I drove for a fleet owner that was leased onto SWIFT for almlost two years and I can only say to you, good luck because I really think that you will find that "the grass sure seemed greener".

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone for my class "B" and drove a straight truck - much much more enjoyable - for me anyway.

Good luck! :)

shade_tree

Expert Expediter
DONT DO IT!!! STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!
take your vacation time and go drive 500 miles a day and everynight stop at a truckstop and sleep in your car, then tell me how you feel about truckin. same thing just a bigger sleeper and a whole lot more truck.

NB Trucker

Expert Expediter
Lots of excellent advice there.
I'm a dispatcher for a major OTR company. and That is a very accurate summary of the trials of a new driver. My company has a 6 week training program, and then you're in your own truck. I've been with them as a manager for just about three years now, and I can honestly say that while we have a fair amount of turnover, most of it is for family reasons and/or accidents. The 'driver pool' is getting pretty shallow for OTR companies, so they're very hungry right now. As a result the OTR recruiters are trying 'anything' to get people in through the door. My company has made major changes in the pay structure in the past year as a result of that, including expanding our northeast regional operations.
I've been on both sides of the equation, as a driver and now as a DM. Each has its upsides and downsides. Currently my needs are basically met with working in house. If needed, however I'd be out in a truck in heartbeat. I've learned a LOT from my drivers and know that I would be right back out there hauling freight with the best of them if I had to. I would rather do expediting, which is why I'm here on EO doing my homework. Don't jump ship until you've done that research it is going to save you loads of hastle down the road. Good luck and drive safely!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Migaux,

Regarding getting a CDL, if you have not considered straight truck driving and a Class B license, you may wish to. See my reply in another thread about how my wife and I - inexperienced at the time - got our Class B CDLs. The link is:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID19/119.html

Regarding your "five things" question:

1) A good pair of work gloves and a spare pair.
2) Laptop with Internet access.
3) Food to eat in the truck so you don't have to eat out all the time.
4) Satellite radio
5) A box of just-in-case items like asprin, Pepto-Bismol, Rollaids, a roll of toilet paper, .....you get the idea; the kind of stuff that when you need it, you don't want to have to try to find an open store to get it.