Fridges & micros

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
This is a 3 part question for those of you who do NOT have an APU on your truck: Do you use a refrigerator and/or a microwave .....How often do you use either of them, AND how do you run them when the truck is NOT running?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Dorm room size frig and freezer, standard size microwave... no apu, i drive a van..frig runs 24/7 and the microwave is used 3-4 times a day...power is from 2 6 volt golf cart batteries and a 3000 watt inverter. Also have a battery isolator to make sure the starting battery is never drawn down while i wact TV and or a dvd...also run 2 small fans and a altec lansing sub woofer and speakers for my laptop and the laptop...all off the 2 batteries and inverter...oh and also a clock radio alarm clock....

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Dennis,

How long would the power last if ya had to sit for a few days? And how long to charge it up? Also, is your fridge where the passenger seat was?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If the frig is the only thing running the longest i have left the batteries go is 3 days, that took them down to 10.8 volts. If i am parked I will run the truck a few times each day to charge them off the Van alternator. I have never run them dead and that is NOT a good thing to do, you will kill them and they will not hold a charge once you drain them past a certain voltage.

The reason i went with the golf cart batteries was because of the way I use them, i have more electric stuff them most and i use alot of it at the same time, which drains them faster and i recharhe them more often. That cycle is not the best in any batteries but the design of the golf cart battery lets it work better. I am sure turtle can tell you way, i have no idea, all i know is that they work better then the 2 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries by deka i had that i killed by letting them go dead......after that they would not hold a full charge long enough to watch a 2 hour dvd .....