Freightliner m2 tail lights out. On the road now

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Barloworld truck center
1650 E. Brooks Memphis TN
1 800 264-0336
I know nothing of them..They are a freightliner dealer.
Hope this helps

I know something of them and would have my truck towed 500 miles before trusting it to that dealership.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
thanks, if i do happen to be going thru there I'll give him a buzz. As of right now it's a 50/50 chance cuz i'm still looking to get out of memphis hehe

What is your safety, compliance and CSA thought process in this?

You have a known issue; no tail lights and no license plate light. You give it a 50/50 chance that you will go in to have it repaired.

Are you thinking it is OK to take a run with the truck in that condition? Are you thinking it is OK if you don't get caught? Are you thinking about taking the gamble? Are you thinking you can afford the CSA points and fine (if any) if you are caught? Are you planning to do a scale-avoidance route if you get a run? Is it about a cheap thrill you find in playing cat-and-mouse with LEO or putting one over on The Man? Are you thinking that it is safe to drive a truck with no tail lights? Are you thinking your carrier and customer will be OK with you running with no tail lights?

Clearly you have made up your mind. If you get a load, you will run with no tail lights. I'm curious to know the thought process that went into this decision.

If it were Diane and me, we'd go out of service and get the lights fixed. It's the safe thing to do. It helps keep people from rear-ending the truck at night.

Compliance-wise, I have neither the courage to run illegal nor the luck to feel I can get away with it. Your risk tolerance must be significantly higher than mine.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There we have it..Wires where we dont need wires..Technology isnt allways a good thing..Took a simple circuit even I could understand and turned it into something that needs a Tech to figure out then a mechinic to fix because the tech doesnt use tools..:confused:

Sad but true. We once replaced the entire driver information system (dash board lights, dials, guages, display) at a cost of over $1,000 for the part alone, because Volvo built the brake warning speaker into the DIS instead of making it a separate part. Thank goodness that Volvo paid the price, it was under warranty at the time.

That speaker also produces the "click, click" sound when the turn signals are on. In days gone by, the "click, click" function was performed by the flasher that cost a few bucks at most and was as easy to replace as a fuse.

Last edited:

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
What is your safety, compliance and CSA thought process in this?

You have a known issue; no tail lights and no license plate light. You give it a 50/50 chance that you will go in to have it repaired.

Are you thinking it is OK to take a run with the truck in that condition? Are you thinking it is OK if you don't get caught? Are you thinking about taking the gamble? Are you thinking you can afford the CSA points and fine (if any) if you are caught? Are you planning to do a scale-avoidance route if you get a run? Is it about a cheap thrill you find in playing cat-and-mouse with LEO or putting one over on The Man? Are you thinking that it is safe to drive a truck with no tail lights? Are you thinking your carrier and customer will be OK with you running with no tail lights?

Clearly you have made up your mind. If you get a load, you will run with no tail lights. I'm curious to know the thought process that went into this decision.

If it were Diane and me, we'd go out of service and get the lights fixed. It's the safe thing to do. It helps keep people from rear-ending the truck at night.

Compliance-wise, I have neither the courage to run illegal nor the luck to feel I can get away with it. Your risk tolerance must be significantly higher than mine.

Safe is always better, no question when it comes to something like this IMHO....

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

kamilski

Active Expediter
I do understand safety concernes. I have actually installed temporary LED lights cuz I would never drive with no tail lights. It's dangerous. The temp lights are not as big but very visible on top of the fact that I have 6 other lights on the back of the box around the doors so don't sweat it over this. I did note it in my log book and didn't avoid scales. In fact a cop just pulled me over on i88 in Illinois and I explained the situation to him and he actually told me that the lights are purplish but very visible and he understands. Checked my logbook and papers and let me go so here you have it

Last edited:

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
There is a fuse block on many me a on the drivers side frame rail near the tranny. Most likely placed by a disgruntled truck designer.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Check the molded plug on the left rear frame rail they corrode after a few years I had to remove mine and use heat shrink able crimps