Freightliner Columbia vs Classic

woodman5455

Expert Expediter
Could someone please tell me what is the difference between the Columbia and the Classic. I see both on the highway but can not tell the difference not having them sitting side by side. Is one a nicer ride than the other?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
About the only difference is the grill and headlights are a little different but not much. Mainly the grill.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One difference I noticed: the Columbia's interior was better designed. It could be just an option, but every Century I saw had those incredibly boneheaded nets over the cabinet openings - the ones that require both hands to open both sides. None of the Columbias had such an asinine feature.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Century class loaded with computers, Columbia not so much.

When new, Century has 3yr 300,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, Columbia 1/100,000.

Century has a slight aerodynamic edge but unless you are buying 100 of them, not really worth it.

Century also more expensive to buy when new.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Last week I got an 08 Columbia, having had a Century class before I see very little if any difference except the hood asembly,which includes the grill and headlights. I do not like the dash, It is the centalized cluster in a molded case personnaly prefer individual gauges. Interior is the same basic layout. The century class had closet doors ( which rattled with age) and this truck has the spring loaded nets;which I do not like but limited chance of rattles. This Columbia has the air ride front axle, I have never driven a truck that handles the bad roads so well!!!!!!. The ride is uncomparable to either the Century class or my old IH 9400I. Has some "float" to it but it does not feel like it will turn over on hard cornering.

Also has the Freightliner Smart Shift auto shift feature which use's the clutch to take off and stop. I spoke to a few people that had the clutchless systems and they felt a lack of control while backing into a dock or under a trailer as the truck would stop and go and not smoothly back up at low speeds. This is the first auto shift I ever drove but it has sold me.

Good time to buy, the tractor was a repo had a $128,341 MSRP got in the low $80's with 60,362 miles also came with a Webasto bunk heater,will install an APU system for cooling later

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Its sorta like this

Take a Jab

The FLD 120 Fleeter

The Classic

inside the cab just about the same.

Outside ones fiber glass hood which is the FLD
and the Classic has metal

other than than that and the stacks.

Ride about the same.
Power depends on the motor.

Ta work on well the FLD is all skirt and a pain
the Classic easy access only got ta shine the tanks all the time.

Classic High maintance in appeareance in buff and polish
FLD 120 Low Maint just wash and go.

I wont go into the Wheel Base as they differ some as well.

that just a bare bones coparison.

now convert that to your Century class and your Cloumbia class.

one may have Leather Seats and other cheapo vinal or with the FLD Cloth ones outa John deer Tractor store. HA HA

any case inside they are about the same. out side
lites and hoods about it.
some have skirts some dont.
pends on the year.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Could someone please tell me what is the difference between the Columbia and the Classic. I see both on the highway but can not tell the difference not having them sitting side by side. Is one a nicer ride than the other?
Classic is much different than the Columbia,if you go on Freightliners website you can find pics of both.the Columbia has a 120 in.hood and the classic is 132 ins.the Columbia and Century are similar,the Classic is much different

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Woodman asked what the difference is between the Century and the Columbia. Basically from a cosmetic standpoint the only real difference is the hood/headlight assembly area's. There is the computer difference too. Piper said the Century has a slight aerodynamic edge over the Columbia... Which I'm curious why and/or how, because I would think the open headlight/parking lites of the Century would cause drag that the Columbia does not have. I must be honest in that I'm more partial to the Columbia, I've driven both trucks and prefer the Columbia.

The Cabinet doors versus nets... is an option from what I understand. I've never had a problem with the cabinets... as far as the rattle issue goes - just put some felt pads on the doors to help muffle and/or eliminate the rattle. The nets have more tendency to stretch and therefore become... useless and more of a PIA than the rattle issue. The cabinets can hold more cans/food than the net design. The net design can hold clothes better because of the stretch/open factor. But, there's always the top bunk for clothes. Personally, I prefer the cabinet design.

Dash layouts, as long as the guages read somewhat properly, then I'm happy. Open guages are nice for chrome bezels on the dash, but - reallistically not many see that (unless it's a show truck)... so I like to have that Chrome shine on the outside more than inside. 'cause if it don't shine, it ain't mine. I put chrome lugnut covers and shine other chrome area's, because even if the truck is dirty - as long as the chrome shines - it's an optical illusion - people like shiny things, so they tend to notice the chrome shined up, not the dirt/road grime from the past 7 or 10 days of good runnin'. The driver notices, but generally not the general public. This lil bit o Chrome does more than shine too, it gives me a reason to exersize and stretch and bend differently than at the J Bird's Buffet.

and... To agree with Nite', there is a HUGE difference between the Classic and both the Century and the Columbia... The Classic is not as aerodynamic, but like the Pete 379 - it's got that "classic" owner operator look in and out.

The Classic and FLD ride much better (in my opinion) than both the Century and the Columbia. Bare in mind however, that with that said, there is a difference in wheelbases, turning radius's, and a just an overall diffence in truck.

BigBusBob

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Piper said the Century has a slight aerodynamic edge over the Columbia... Which I'm curious why and/or how, because I would think the open headlight/parking lites of the Century would cause drag that the Columbia does not have.
BigBusBob

It has to do with the shape of the fender and the under hood air management (the Century has that gap between the hood and cab, where the hood latches are)

As for the rest, almost all the options available on a Century are available on the Columbia and vice versa, including air ride front ends, individual gauges, sleeper cabinet options etc.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm curious about that Cascadia Freightliner and how it serves the driver over it's little brothers the Century and Columbia's. I haven't seen many on the road, but I have seen some on the road... The Cascadia's and the new International's with the mid-roof sleeper and big sleeper window seem to be the big fleets choice for replacement trucks. However, Freightliner and International have always seemed to serve the (for the past 10+/- years) the big fleets needs for replacement trucks. There's 2 things that have caught my eye though, with the new International... has anybody noticed the placement of that large sleeper window in its relation to the rear wall of the truck - very close. Closer than the window on a big Pete. Obviously the concern for structure strength around/near that rear bunk corner isn't there on the International. The Cascadia has given a new look to a fleet truck with it's new twists, with the low sloped hood and the tear drop top sleeper window. Sharp, but how are they for the driver?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
1st is classic 2nd columbia 3rd century coronado at bottom

Attachments

• classic.jpg
    classic.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 4
  • columbia.jpg
    columbia.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 3
  • tn_freightliner_century_1.jpg
    tn_freightliner_century_1.jpg