Freeze Oatmeal

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Over the weekend I made a big batch of Steel Cut Oatmeal. I really enjoy steel cut oatmeal but do not like how long it takes to cook it. I solved this problem by make a lot at one time.

I have stored cooked oatmeal two ways using baggies. I put a single serving in each baggie and I put a couple of these in the refrigerator and then freeze the rest. As always I freeze them flat so that I can line the frozen oatmeal up like books.

Steel Cut Oatmeal made using directions
added Raisins to Oatmeal about half way through cooking
added a small container of cream to the oatmeal as it was about done cooking
added brown sugar to taste at the end
sprinkled with cinnamon

I let the oatmeal cool down as I gathered my baggies and supplies.

I have found I make a lot less mess if I place the baggie inside of a cup to help keep it open as I pour the food in. It also helps to use a measuring cup to pour as you can then get the correct serving size.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 28
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 27

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How long does it take to heat up frozen oatmeal? Do you heat it up in the microwave?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I usually make instant oatmeal in the microwave. If I have it on hand, I'll cut up an apple and add raisins and cinnamon to the oatmeal. Then cook it all together.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How does it taste after being frozen? I have a hard enough time wanting to eat fresh oatmeal :rolleyes:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
It only takes a minute or two to warm it up.

RoadTime I think the cream, raisins, brown sugar, and cinnamon help it a lot! Really I think it is the cream that makes it over the top. Terry O'Connell is the one that introduced me to cream in oatmeal and I really like it.