Free Showers!

chaz

Expert Expediter
Hello all! Have a few questions please.

I am driving a gasoline cargo van. Is there any way to earn free showers? I tried asking the "Pilot" and "Flying J" etc. They both said that you have to drive diesel big truck.

I could of sworn I saw a post awhile ago where someone was earning free showers with a gasoline cargo van.

1 more newbie question please.I just started expediting with my cargo van earlier this month and am loving it.

I just made a delivery in Lexington TN this past Friday and was on my way home for the Easter weekend.

The dispatcher caught me on the way home and asked if I would do a pick-up in New Albany, Indiana and do a Monday morning delivery in Wichita Kansas.

All of my deliveries have been straight through so far.It was said on the Qualcomm 1 item.There were 2 full pallets and nowhere for me to sleep.Have any of you ever gotten extra for sleeping arrangements?I dont know if I coulda asked for it altho I know it probably wouldnt of happened?

This didnt turn out to be such a profitable trip and away from family for Easter.

I realize I am an independent contractor and sleeping is my responsibility.Was just wondering if extra pay for trips like this is a possibility?

Have to say that I like who I drive for and am liking this business.Thank you for any info while I am sitting in Wichita,Kansas right now and Happy Easter to all!
Chaz

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I think loves will let you bank showers on their rewards card. Buy a total of 50 gallons in a few stops, get a shower.

try to come in as empty fuel wise as you can (1/8th to 1/4) and fill. Go to the fuel desk to pay and ask if you can get a shower, 9 times out of 10 they will give you one. Ask drivers fueling if they plan on using their shower. So do, some don't. If they don't ask them if you can have it. Sometimes it takes a few bucks but it works.

Some companies pay layovers. Yours must not. Find one that does to make those weekend trips more profitiable.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
At Flying J you can use your Frequent Fueler card. For each 20 Gals you get half a shower credit. You also get points which can be redemed for meals etc.

Good Luck
Dr Bob and Hooligan

chaz

Expert Expediter
Hi,
They told me at Flyin J that I couldnt have a frequent fueler card with a gasoline cargo van. Same thing was told to me from Pilot.
Chaz

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Chaz:

Try this: go to the Kiosk at the Flying J and apply on line for a frequent fueler card. Think big and have a name for your company, i.e. Chaz Associates. While you are at it get a card for your co-driver, or someone who lives at your address. You'll get a paper receipt and a card will be mailed later. When you get your two cards, take them to the fuel desk and ask the clerk to "link your co-drivers card with your card" Every time you buy 20 gallons of gasoline or diesel at the 4 wheeler pumps, you'll get a half shower and a half beverage credit on your and your co-drivers card. Be sure to only put your card in the pump reader BEFORE you insert your credit card.

I did the above procedure several years ago and have been getting free showers and coffee/coke ever since. You will even get coupons good for meals every couple of months and if you present your card to the restaurant cashier you'll get coupons representing 5% of your food purchases.

Remember, don't ask the clerks what the policy is, just get a card and call your petroleum product 'fuel' not 'gas'.

Good luck and join the hundreds of us who enjoy free showers and coffee.

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
the flying-j has a rewards card for regular gas purchases now the apps for it are usally the same place as the frequent fueler card apps are its the same program only for regular gas .

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't run my fuel under a quarter of a tank . I admit I've done it to get to a Flying J and save 30 cenys a gallon on fuel rather than stop at a Pilot or to make it to exit 1 on I-84 in NY which is actually a corner of NJ and has the lowest fuel prices you'll find on I-84. I've read the fuel acts as coolant for the fuel pump and running below a quarter of a tank shortens fuel pump life .

chaz

Expert Expediter
Thank you Terry and everyone who has responded.I did just that,I applied online but I used my name as business name-hope that doesnt hurt.
Chaz

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
It does, at just below a 1/4 you should still be alright. Some fords don't even have the pump in the tank, it is on the frame rail. I know in my diesel if it is run out of fuel it 9 times out of 10 takes the injector computer with it (not sure why) so I rarely go below 1/4 to unless I know fuel will be cheaper with in 100 miles. that and at 1/4 tank my van will take 30 gallons to fill.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
My 2000 chev, 3500 fits 20 gal into tank when gauge reads one and a half clicks above 1/4

Driveguy 207

Expert Expediter
Crazy D's have free showers with no minimum fuel purchase. I have also found that smaller Truck Stops are more likely to have free or at least less expensive showers. Sometimes it helps to have your own towel

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Speaking of own towel, All of the new service plazas on the Ohio Turnpike have very nice FREE shower rooms which include sink and toilet. If the door is open, the room is yours. There are four at each plaza; bring your own towels.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Terry,

WOW!!! That info just rocked. I'll be doing that the next time I hit a Flying J. Thanx a ton for the idea.

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
That cause we know how to treat people right, here in Ohio! Wait until we start the free gasoline program on the turnpike ... but don't tell anyone who you heard it from. :+ :+ :+

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Thanks to Chaz, Terry, and all. Can any of these cards be applied for online, or do you have to wait until you get to the Loves or Flying J? If a person could apply on line, then I, as CEO, CFO, manager, treasurer, driver, wash guy and O/O of "Theoldprof Trucking, Inc." can have the card available for the first day on the road.

Thanks, :+ :+

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
It is true regarding the quarter or less tank of fuel. It hurts the fuel pump. Worked with many engineers and mech. at Joe Gibbs Racing and had articles from Manufactures posted do not ever let any of your vehicles get below a quarter of tank of gas (gasoline) it fuel pump sucks in debree when its that low and shortens the life of the fuel pump considerabily. New fueld injections are very sensitive this is why the fuel pumps are the leading cause of replacement parts next to sensors.

Wife can speak from expierence we always let the tanks go to 0 and went thru 2 fuel pumps on a Grand Prix. After I read the posts we never let the vehicles go below a quarter and have never replaced another fuel pump.