Forklifts in the Van Body

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Before I could take care of business. Had a forklift get into the truck before I could lower the legs. It should not have happened but it did.

How many times can a trucks suspension take this (air ride) before it would blow an airbag? The truck next to me had spring suspension and they never lowered any legs down.

My airbag squeeks now but other wise works great.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a roll up door coming on the new truck. Nobody will get in until I am ready and go inside with the key to unlock it and let them in. That was the main reason I went that way. Not standing out in the weather opening and closing doors is a side benefit.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Dark_0ne

Expert Expediter
Well when I ran for the nursery they used to run forklifts into our trucks all the time. We never seemed to have any problems, although the truck would do the old rock and roll thing pretty badly. Maybe we were just lucky, anyway I hope this doesn't turn into a problem for you.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
There is no way I will ever go with a roll up. I worked at to many LTL"s cleaning them to know that they are trouble. Plus you are giving up some of the width and I just had a great load because my body was wide enough for the skid. Just wide enough with maybee a half an inch on both sides, we even put 2x4 along inside of the walls so that it could be pulled back out otherwise if it got turned inside of the body it may have to of been cut apart to get out.

This was my own fault, a driver from Nations started talking to me and I did not interupt him to excuse myself. Since then I have a mission on my mind, and I do now block the back of the truck with a Load Bar E-track after I am loaded.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've actually got over an inch wider door with the roll up than with the swing doors. I gave the door opening requirement and this solution worked best. I will be giving up a little bit of height however the new body is over 6" taller than the old one so I'll have a small net gain in height as well.

I've had them take down load bars and load straps I had across the back. The only guarantee of nobody going in except when I want them to is this locked roll up door. I may regret it later on but for now it seems the best solution.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Put a couple of loadlock bars across the back and this way Eviel Kenevil on his f/lift can't get in until the bars are removed. However I am like Leo and prefer the roll up door and keep it locked until I am on the dock. Always check to see that the F/Lift will fit height wise. I have had several units slam into the top header.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In the past, we have always put a load bar in the back. Also one just forward of the rear wheels. Most loads seldom fill the truck so it keeps their travel (forklift) to a minumum.

Side note on rollups. Make sure you coat the bottom of the door with a light gage oil so it doesn't freeze shut. Many years ago we made that mistake and found opening the frozen door was a pain with a forklift.

Davekc
owner
21 years

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Another thing to be careful about, as far as keeping the door shut and locked, until you get backed in, is some of those "truck eating" docks they have in places such as a couple of the Flint automotive plants.

With these, you back in, and as you touch the guards in front of the plate, the pressure of the truck backing against it, actually forces the the plate up, and then when you go back as far as possible, a lever releases the plate, and it crashes down into the truck.

Scared the crap out of me, the first time I encountered one of these, and I also saw a rear door that used one, without first opening the door. Lets just say that a couple of the door panels had to be replaced.

WG