Ford will Release the new Ford Transit in 2012

How many of you could see yourself purchasing a________within the next 2 to 4 years?

• Ford Transit

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Mercedes-Benz Sprinter

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Armadillo Cargo Van

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Regular Cargo Van

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Ford Transit made its debut in the American continent in Mexico on September 10, 2007 and over nine different models are offered. This is the only country in the American continent in which it is currently on sale.

Ford has stated that the fourth generation Transit platform will be global, also acting as a replacement for the long running E-Series/Econoline range in North America. It is expected to be released bylate 2011 or early 2012. In the interim, Ford introduced the smaller, mechanically unrelated Transit Connect to the U.S. market for the 2010 model year.

Due to its four cylinder diesel engines, manual transmission, lower weight and more aerodynamic design, the Transit is considerably more fuel efficient than the E-Series, which is a mainstay with a V8 and automatic transmission. Currently the E-Series competes domestically with the Dodge Sprinter range, which is a badge engineered Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - one of the Transit's main rivals in Europe.

Ford looks to release the Transit in up to 9 different models at price ranges from 29k to upwards of 48k base pricing!!

Attachments

• Ford_Transit_2010.jpg
    Ford_Transit_2010.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 98
  • trasit2010.jpg
    trasit2010.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by a moderator:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Where did you get those pictures?

They look like the UK press kit versions.

The transit seems not to have a diesel engine for this market (it looks like they are going with the 2.3 four cylinder gas engine - I kid you not), according the the press release I have. This engine is in the Ford Focus and the Ranger, depending on where the transit is being built, it may be a Mexican build engine and van. I hope they change their mind and bring in the 3.2 five cylinder to our shores, it is a good engine with lots of torque and good fuel mileage (21 mpg).

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
talking a North American slop bucket..remember...the same company that gave us the 6.0 piece of crap...
up to 48K ??

They'll probably use the 2.3 litre Pinto motor they've been using in the Ranger forever:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Oh BTW you are only American if you buy crappy American cars over other makes that have better quality:rolleyes:
40K Chevy Volt over a 30K Nissan Leaf for example

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
If they come up with one with the same cargo volume as a Sprinter, at least the same payload as a regular van, a diesel engine, and sell it for a lower price, then I'd be tempted.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At 48K ...a 4 cyl full sized van with a 2500 lb load for 10 hours straight at 65 mph......wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hey I thought something was odd. The press release was not a press release but some memo I got was for the Transit test vans that are hitting the roads. I stuck it with my UK press kit, and didn't think about reading it all the way through.

The info that the OP posted is from Edmunds, 2007 and confirmed to be wrong. They are still up in the air about it, no date has been confirmed but it looks like the diesel may not make it here until 2013.

Deville

Not a Member
Some HUGE shoes to fill. The Econline is a stough as they come, capable of hauling 4500 pounds & take a beating while doing so.I own a 96 e-350 with 172k on it & it's a beast. I always liked the Sprinter, but if Ford gets this right I would buy it.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Some HUGE shoes to fill. The Econline is a stough as they come, capable of hauling 4500 pounds & take a beating while doing so.I own a 96 e-350 with 172k on it & it's a beast. I always liked the Sprinter, but if Ford gets this right I would buy it.

Just curious. Which econoline can haul 4500 pounds legally?